Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Wine Country Fires Oct. 2017
I lived on Tomki Road in Redwood Valley for two and a half years back in the early '90s.
It never looked like this.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Am...274714.php

Still don't know if the place I rented from Jacques Vallee survived.  It was a very strange place, with castle-like trappings, including crenelated walls and a tower holding his extensive library in the bottom and topped by an observatory.  He showed me Jupiter's moons up there one time.
I'm nobody's pony.
I remember visiting you once up there. That place was a trip. Hope it survived.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I forgot to mention that there was an earthquake epicentered on Redwood Valley yesterday, Friday the 13th.  Magnitude 4, I believe.

Of course, that's the least of their problems right now.
I'm nobody's pony.
Frey Vineyards is less than a mile from where I lived up there.  I was always driving past it.
Here's some of what they say on their main website:
Quote:Oct. 16, 2017 – We would like to share an update on Frey Vineyards.  All of our family members and winery staff are safe. 

Our beautifully rustic office buildings, tasting room, and bottling line have burned, but the main house and the insulated warehouse holding our case goods are unscathed.  Our stainless steel wine tanks and the majority of the crush pad are also fine.  Although vineyards typically don’t burn, with the intensity of this firestorm we did lose about 10% of our estate vineyards along the peripheries of the ranch. 

http://www.freywine.com/

I haven't been able to figure out anything more about where I lived.  To be honest, I'm not remembering the Tomki Road address.  It's gotta be written down around here somewhere, probably a box in the garage, 20 years old...
I'm nobody's pony.
Ttt 4 2020

Cf - you never finished this (just like your Puerto tale - still wondering if you survived that). Did the castle keep survive 2017? What about 2020?
(10-09-2020, 03:05 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Cf - you never finished this (just like your Puerto tale - still wondering if you survived that). Did the castle keep survive 2017? What about 2020?
Thanks for another fine rabbit hole.  I couldn't recall my address while living up there on Tomki Road, which kept me from pinning things down before.  But just now it occurred to me that I'd written stories while up there, and those would have my address (part of proper formatting).  Specifically, I wrote Tomki Chronicles, a loose conglomeration of all my experiences up there.

So I looked for that manuscript on my computer just now and to my horror it's nowhere to be found.  But I did track down a late 2017 version on an external backup drive and rescued that folder, though I don't know how up-to-date those 50-odd files are.  Essentially, in late 2017 I did a Windows update that hung at 100% finished, and finally I had to hard reboot.  That corrupted my hard drive, and took me a couple months to recover -- with loss of files.

Now, checking for my address on Tomki Chronicles, I see that I used a post office box in Redwood Valley.  Dammit.  See, I was living in a small weird structure off the main house, and it didn't have a separate address.  Jacques Vallee told me to just use the main house's address -- and the mailbox at the bottom of the lane -- but not to give out the address.  Because he wanted to guard his privacy up there.  Understandable, because as one of the world's leading ufologists, he was constantly hounded by nutjobs.

Anyway, I decided it would be best to get a P.O. box.  So that's what's on all the manuscripts I wrote up there.

The street address has to be around here somewhere.  But damned if I can track it down yet.

Thanks for the nudge, DM.  I recovered Tomki Chronicles as a result, or some form of it.  Not that I'm likely to do anything with it.  (BTW, Jacques suggested that title.)

As for the Puerto Maldonaldo resumption, real soon now. 

I'm nobody's pony.
(10-09-2020, 09:05 AM)cranefly Wrote: As for the Puerto Maldonaldo resumption, real soon now. 
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=17184883]

I'm beginning to think that just like Castle Highland, Tomki Keep was just another DOOM delusion. 

Or the aliens retracted them. That makes more sense actually.