Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLADE RUNNER 2049
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Look at me not caring.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Right now it's neck-and-neck between Blade Runner 2049 and IT for being overhyped.  Too many ads and trailers for far too long to the point I've lost all interest in both of them.  Snakes on a Plane syndrome.
I'm nobody's pony.
OMG - I'm replying to a thread that is actually on-topic!

I was invited to some stupid marketing presentation that culminated in a pre-premiere viewing of Blade Runner 2049.

I washed away any preconceptions. "Blade Runner" is iconic and should be handled with care. I am not dogmatic about violating sacred ground.

Finding parking in rush-hour S.F. was stressful, but I got us there with minutes to spare and we snagged complimentary popcorn and sodas just in time to watch a badly executed PowerPoint presentation and audio-less video before they surrendered and let the movie play.

No Spoilers.

Basically the plot of "Blade Runner" with added self-awareness elements. Wait, that's "Blade Runner" (sigh).

I liked the cinematogrophy, music and sets, but GODDAMM: spoiler alert

I AM TIRED OF THE "LONG LOST FATHER" TROPE!

Thank you "Star Wars: The Force Awakens", "Guardians of the Galaxy 2", "Tron: Legacy" .

Just stop.

I would have fallen in love with this movie if Harrison Ford wasn't in it. I felt his presence gave an "easy" out to the end of the movie. The villain meant nothing, the resolution meant nothing, there was no victory.

EDIT: I saw this at the AMC on Van Ness in S.F. I brought a co-worker and was stressed about finding parking. We parked at 6PM for a 6PM showing and rushed in. Somehow I forgot to turn off my car and grab the keys. My car idled in front of the Tesla dealership on Van Ness for 4 hours until we got out and I called AAA.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Enjoyed it. Better than the first. More thoughtful. Beautiful, too.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I'm with the good doctor on this. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Sure, it's long winded - 2:40+ without any Bollywood dance numbers? Part of me was thinking 'edit this replicant!' and the other just enjoyed the mood it was evoking with the visuals, the monk chant undertones, and the overall story. 

The original was so groundbreaking and visionary. That's hard to beat. Only a few sequels have ever bested the original when the original is such a classic. And while this falls short of that, it delivered what it did with enough panache to be entertaining, assuming you're patient and can deal with long ass movies. It has some decent sci-fi concepts - thought provoking. 

I finally get Anna de Armas. I've always had issues with the notion of sentient holograms going back to ST:Voyager but her character worked for me. Harrison was fine - I wish he came up sooner. Jared was creepy cool. Ryan was stiff, but that was the way he was supposed to be. The scene with Sean as Rachel worked really well. Always love Robin. And Sylvia Hoek (Luv) is my new villainess crush. 

It disturbed me how many times 2020 came up.

It made me want to see the Final Cut version of the original. http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=4510

No sword fights but some switchblade shankin. Recommended for DOOMers who haven't seen it, have patience, and don't leave their car idling in SF.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse