Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stro
Okay. Maybe I've been thinking about Stro just a bit too much over the last month or so. Or it could be that I foresee how much I will be thinking about Stro through December as I'm planning trips to New York, Florida, Arizona, Texas and San Diego. Not to mention a return to the Bay Area.

Whatever the cause, I had a Stro dream last night. He was dressed  like he was at SJSU with the almost perm haircut and the corduroy jacket. We were sitting down at a group table. Junior was with Stro, although I've only met Junior once. There was another father and son team at the table but I don't know who they were. Well, I'm telling Stro the story Dan Magay told about fencing Stro at the 1962 Nationals. I was lamenting the fact to Stro that when we interviewed Mr. Magay this time about that meeting he didn't tell the story nearly as well as he did the last time. And that time the Stro story wasn't filmed. Grr.

We did 20 interviews in the course of 15 days, this included a trip to Oregon to film John McDougall. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on our trip to New York which starts on Tuesday. We don't have near as many interviews as I would like, but I'm going anyway. A fencing acquaintance, Soren Thompson, has booked us 5 nights at the New York Athletic Club to use as our base. We will also be screening The Last Captain while we are there. It is also an excuse to bring together some of the interviewees for the Stro film. I hope the reacquaintance will help stir up some forgotten memories they will subsequently share with us.

I actually woke up in a good mood. things seem to be progressing nicely. I got a note from one of our Hungarian interviewees who saw the film and really liked it. Then I opened an email that was full of pictures of Stro at an NYAC picnic that a Rockette had forwarded to me. She also wanted to know if I would like more pictures. 

Why, yes. Yes, I would.

Things are going at full speed. I appear to be happy.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Hey, that's great!

Don't get happy.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Happiness was fleeting. Back to hamsters running round my brain.

Here, hamster this and tell me I'm wrong: Do you guys have anyone being interviewed who can give a brief "what is 'fencing'" spiel so that non-fencers will have a bit of a clue of what we are talking about? I was thinking that I don't remember anyone in the Last Captain doing a "this is what the whackity-hack stuff is about". I don't mean show any techniques, just a brief verbal overview. Is Mr. Shaw on the list for interview? That guy can tawk.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Peter Westbrook gave a brief spiel about the 3 weapons.

What is fencing?

Fencing is an excuse...

...an excuse to wear knickers in public.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Stop fronting. Just give in. Wear them already.

What's the point of doing a long trip if you don't get sick at some point?

That point is now. I'm heading to CVS to buy all their drugs. I still have six interviews to do over the next four days.

Strong like bull.

Smooth like brick
Smart like tractor
Smell like goat
I spent the night in Coxsackie. I drove over the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. I was in Rensselaerville and Greenville. You have to zoom in extra tight to see them on the map. Actually, at one point I was so far off the grid, the grid disappeared from the map and it was just an arrow and a circle following a blue line through space.

We are racing through this part of the state. I have given in and started to use my gps because I could never find these places if I just had a map.

I have interviews Sunday and Monday in Massachusetts. Tuesday, I fly home.

Still sick?
Yep.

Sorry to hear that. I think I'm over my illness. I felt it going into MIA and shoulda bailed but there was only one other vol and she had never worked a small venue. I took a sick day on Friday, skipping a last minute oppportunity to interview Tim Palmieri of the funk jam band Kung Fu - someone I'd been stalking for years now. They were at the Mo, but didnt respond to my request until late Thursday so I didn't get it until I already called in. Had the luxury of 3 days not doing anything but resting plus the extra hour with daylight savings time. I'll be good to go tomorrow, which is important because CCTV (PRCs biggest network) is coming by to interview us for some doc on Kung Fu overseas.

Um, not to hijack you're thread here or anything. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Today, we interviewed Gil Eisner. Gil was on the NYU team with Michael when they were crushing everyone in their path. He had stories and he liked to tell them.

He was a commercial artist for his career and he let us into his study to see some of the pieces. They were great. His work included a portrait of Sandra Day O'Connor that used to sit in the National Gallery.

So, I'm looking at all his paintings and he he points to this photograph of a group of people and says 'Do you recognize anybody in this picture' Immediately, I recognize Tom Hanks in the picture. His wife Rita Wilson sits in front of him. I was pretty astonished because Gil was standing next to Tom in the picture. Pretty cool.

He then goes, 'People usually recognize this guy first'. Then I realize on the other side of Gil is Bruce Springsteen and his wife Patty Scialfa. What the hell?

Then in the back of the group, almost being a photobomber, is Brian Williams. Seriously.

Finally, he points to a guy almost lying down on the floor and says "That's my wife's brother, Jann" Like Wenner?

Exactly like Wenner. Jann Wenner, publisher and founder of Rolling Stone is Kate's brother.  I am flabbergasted by this picture.

Then Gil tells me that Jann used to make a newspaper for his neighborhood up in Marin when he was a kid. He got in trouble when he posted a note about a couple getting a divorce. The couple was angry about the note and complained to Jann's mother, because the news wasn't public yet. The mother stood up for Jann by asking the couple if the story was true. The couple said it was. Jann's mother said, 'Then I don't see what is the problem'

Gil lives on 80 acres on the top of a mountain in the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts in the coolest house ever.

G-Man now has new goals. Know cool people and own a mountain top with a cool house.