Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you listen to this week?
My two symphonic Halloween collections - Chiller & Fright Night - both are a mixed bag of candies, classics like Holst, Mussorgsky, plus themes to Hitchcock & Twilight Zone.

Then, to keep me rolling after fri & sat edm, Major Lazer: Free the World & Skrillex: Bangarang.

Tomorrow they swap out for MIA.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
MIA? Your Dream Grrl!

I'm still in carefully curated music mode (as music is the one thing, besides the movie "Old Yeller", that can pierce any armor) so it is comfort music and upbeat. That means jazz and chill-out. New York Jazz Quartet, my "Drive!" mix, Stan Getz, Vince Guaraldi, Cal Tjader, The Crusaders, etc.. On the chillout side, Moby, Amon Tobin, Thievery Corp, St. Germain and other anthologies.

Quite a bit of El Dingo in that mix, thanks to his gift compilations over the years.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
(10-31-2017, 10:56 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: MIA? Your Dream Grrl!

We have a date on Thursday night. It's been a while since we've seen each other - time to catch up!
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Say no MORE!!!
Yesterday I found David Byrne's Catherine Wheel at the library. Either TG or DM introduced me to this one when it was still recent (1981 release). I hadn't heard it in  probably 20 years, but unlike some other 80s albums I've revisited, this one has held up very well. (Maybe because it's mostly instrumental?) I even easily remembered some of the words ("My big hands, I keep my big hands to myself"). The whole thing brought back the memory of discovering something that is both strange and beautiful. Looking forward to playing this while painting.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I had a similar nostalgic music experience this week. The Atomic Blonde soundtrack took me back in time, and from there I went wandering until I bumped into REM again, esp "Life's Rich Pageant". I still remember most of the words. Lots of feelings wrapped up in that. A little Roxie Music showed up, too.
I did that with REM about a month ago. My wife and I were talking about seeing them live, and I realized that I didn't have the first album, so I picked it up. Still very good, only one or two filler songs on the end of what was side 2.
A nice graphic representation of music over a 100 year span.
Don't know enough about music to vouch for its accuracy, or how accurate the samples are -- the labels are clickable for music.  Some labels don't play, or need to be clicked more than once, or whatever.  Might be buggy.  But for the most part it works.  A bit intriguing.

https://www.concerthotels.com/100-years-of-rock/
I'm nobody's pony.
King Diamond "Abigail" (1987)

A rock opera for metalheads.

Basically a scary story about a young couple that inherits a haunted mansion. The ghost of a dead baby (Abigail - probably the antichrist) posesses the blushing bride and terrorizes the husband.

Full story here

Very melodic and catchy. If you can get behind the falsetto of Kim Petersen it's a great rollercoaster ride of spookiness.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
La Misa Negra. Love those horns! My go-to for cheering myself up recently.
I'm listening to Wagner because we've got symphony tickets this weekend and SC is doing Prelude to Die Meistersinger.  The first concert that I ever bought tickets for was Wagner.  He was my first musical muse.  I've only got one crappy compilation CD because all my good Wagner is on vinyl. But it serves.  

Entry of the Gods into Valhalla is excellent driving music for daybreak over HWY17.
Also great use of Wagner in Apocalypse Now
And don’t forget Looney Tunes.
I did but should not have! What's Opera Doc? is probably my favorite of the Chuck Jones cartoons, with fantastic surreal landscape too.