Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vengeance of an Assassin (2014) by Panna Rittikrai
Vengeance of an Assassin opens with two gangs in a warehouse engaged in a soccer match that borders on war.  It's brutal and brilliantly shot, better than the climaxes of most martial arts films.  After that scene, I wondered if they'd shot their wad.

Not even close.  The fights got ever more insane, with some truly over-the-top action sequences.  I actually started laughing near the end, because the older of the two protagonists (brothers) had been wounded in so many fatal ways, yet he keeps mustering more chop-sockey (am I allowed to say that?), and then he's...  Well, he's battered in a whole new way, and repeatedly, and I just lost it.

The story is thin, there's some draggy character-building scenes that don't work; but my goodness, this delivers on the fights -- each one more wildly inventive.

Afterwards, I looked up the director, Panna Rittikra.  Of course, Tony Jaa's mentor.  Sadly, at the end of the credits there's a dedication to him, as he died the year it was released.  Who knows if he even saw its release.

Oh, Kessarin Ektawatkul, a former national Taekwondo champion, plays a femme fatale.  She's impressive as an actress and a martial artist, and is featured in one of the biggest fights.

Totally worth viewing just for the action.
I'm nobody's pony.