Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Smashed!
Yep - some Bozo decided to walk down our street and smash car mirrors with a crowbar. He must have especially loved me because he did in my driver's-side window.

I know it's all "first-world-problems" but I had to take the day off from work for the  online police report, insurance claim and parts-ordering, repair-scheduling. I then had to get a ride to work from Dee Dee. I work 7AM - 4PM, she works 10AM or whatever to 8 hours later. I bus/BART/walk home.

I'm not mad at the person who did it. We are living in a volotile time. Class warfare is a very real thing. Having a car, home and livable income is the new royalty. Now if I found out it was some rich, drunk kid dumped by his GF, I may feel differently.

Anyway, I had to take a second vacation day to get the car fixed. Dee Dee gave me a ride to the shop and then went to work.

Later, I took the bus to Amoeba for record shopping while I waited for the repair. I picked up The Babys "Union Jack" ("Midnight Rendezvous") for $3 and Supertramp "Famous Last Words" ("It's Raining Again") for $4.

Basically this pissed off guy cost me 2 vacation days and $500 in parts and labor ($250 deductible).

For the Berkeley old-timers I popped into Fat Slice for pizza (still delicious) and Rasputin's for more vinyl. Apparently, Rasputin's has moved all of their vinyl to the old "Moe's Books" space across from Amoeba. It's now called "Anachrostic Audio Experience" or something.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Major bummer. Major merc-n-retro.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Last week there was a crazy woman throwing rocks at my car (and per our neighbor, trying to break into other cars). I didn't want to press charges, either -- she was drunk or stoned and said her brother had just committed suicide due to PTSD 5 days ago . . .
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Your 'hood sux.  

Stacy's car gets rifled through every once in a while, but that's because the locks don't work.  Haven't worked in years.  She never leaves anything in her car.  My Fit got dented once by our neighbor, but they 'fessed up immediately and offered to pay (they are good neighbors).  It was just prior to me trading it in, so I said 'don't bother' but he's a contractor and did some work for us at a major discount so it was all good.  We do have a lot of borderline peeps and tourists coming down our street, plus our next door neighbor AirBnB's her place over the summer, but nothing like what you've described.
I'm hijacking this for our crappy 'hood thread.

So like I mentioned on the whiskey thread (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...3#pid27773) we have this alcoholic neighbor.  He's a classic surfer dude, well built, in hsi 30s maybe, with wife and 1+ year old baby. They've been living in a tiny studio next to the house that he owns, but they recently kicked their tenants out - a great family (actually the ones mentioned above who dented my Fit) and since they left, the 'hood has lost a lot of heart.  So a few months ago, the police came out because his wife was afraid he was going to hurt himself.  Stacy texted me the details at work - she just saw the cops shut down our street and we learned the details later.  Well, the house is in terrible shape so they have to do a lot of work before they can rent it out again and they can't afford to live in it as they planned.  So yesterday, Stacy watched as he was passed out in the yard, moaning.  The wife left and 911 responded and he was carted away in an ambulance.

Just a few minutes ago, as Stacy was enjoying her german chocolate gluten free birthday cake, he comes roaring out yelling 'Get out of my house! You don't pay any rent!' and starts banging on the door of his house very violently. He's a big dude, just shy of six feet maybe, and strong.  The old house shook. We were just chatting and saw his wife with their baby go in there.  Another neighbor tried to intervene, but kept a safe distance. We called 911.  They came quickly, first a cautious policewoman, and then several more officers as back up.  The wife eventually opened the door and the police went in.  Then they went to the the tiny studio and got the guy, and took him away in cuffs.  

It's tragic really.  They are a young attractive white couple and he owns the house.  He grew up there. But word is he has squandered his income on booze and now, after kicking out our friendly sweet neighbors, a lovely family of five, they are stuck with a house they can't afford to live in or afford to repair.  

The cops are typing their reports into their laptops and heading out now.  They seemed to handle this very well, at least from our viewpoint from across the street.  

Tara comes home for this weekend.  I hope this calms down for her.  It's been a weird few days here in the Cruz.
Addendum - as I mentioned on the 4:20 thread (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...2#pid27732) I’ve been on jury duty call all week - I finally got off. This was challenging because I had a massive workload at TC, the Black Panther screener (which meant I had to bang out a review), Valentines, Stacy’s birthday, and Tara comes tomorrow, which of course is Chinese New Year, which means a lot of stuff for work. On top of that, I got a last minute interview with sword hottie Natasha Liu Bordizzo that I had to bang out while this neighborhood kerfuffle was happening. Oh, and Laurie Anderson contacted me.

Bottom line is it’s always a weird day when you have to call 911.
Back to my hood - Buck, our drunk neighbor, fell off the wagon big time.  Yesterday, he was yelling and slamming doors.  His wife grabbed their kid and ran.  He chased after them calling them 'faggots' then drove off, drunk probably.  A cop came and the wife and kid came back.  Not sure what happened after that.  I got my own problems.

Today I came home and Buck was seated on the curb, surrounded by cops with two units in the street, and a woman that I'm guessing was CPS.  Stacy said she saw the wife leave early, which she thought was unusual, but she noticed the upstairs light was on so assumed Buck was back.  Later, the wife was frantically searching for the kid, who had disappeared.  The kid was found.  Cops came again.  Buck threw up.  Things settled and the authorities left.  A little while later, Buck was slamming doors and yelling again, then he drove off.

Undecided
When I read the headline, my first thought was you had gotten into a car crash. Thankfully, no.

What gods have you alienated to be at the center of this calamity vortex?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(02-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Greg Wrote: What gods have you alienated to be at the center of this calamity vortex?

prolly just the catholic one