Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atomic Blonde
I really enjoy David Leitch films. He knows how to deliver action and super tasty ultravi. And Charlize is a goddess. A GODDESS. Move aside, Gal, let an Oscar winner show you how it's done. Charlize can truly act, she can do stunts and fight, selling punches and kicks with pounding impact, and isn't afraid to get dirty, naked and beaten. And she's super hot. Now in her 40s, she's hotter than ever. Add James Macalvoy and John Goodman and I'm so in. It's set by the Berlin Wall just before it falls, so the soundtrack is packed with nostalgic electro euro pop and the sets are decaying buildings lit with glowing neon diffused with cigarette smoke. Charlize owns Lorraine, a Stoli swigging ice queen spy in sharp stilleto heels, cold and calculating, and very very lethal. Like John Wick, Leitch creates an assassins' underworld with an implausible body count, but it's all about the ultravi. The fights are high octane, visceral, and sanguinous. Charlize delivers and you can see it's her for most of it (she cracked several teeth in the shoot for real). The centerpiece fight is a brutal long single shot - there are surely some digital stitches in the crazy swirling camera work, but it is impressive choreography to behold from every angle. I'd slo mo that just to breakdown the technical mastery. I already want to see that scene again.

I really want this to become a franchise like John Wick and I really want there to be a swordfight in the sequel. Please please please Mr. Leitch. I'm begging for it.

It's all about Charlize now. GODDESS of mayhem.

Total DOOM flick.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Seen again on the airplane. My strategy was to watch something I saw before - that way I could fall asleep easily.  Well, it backfired.  I became totally engrossed in this film again.  Luv it.  At first, I was a bit disappointed because it felt like Charlize was just doing the Clint Eastwood/Keanu Reeves whisper line delivery to be 'cool' but her character fills out more later and she delivers some tightly-managed acting scenes that totally redeem it.  

You guys really should see this.  It's gotta be one of my top picks for 2017.

Come for the fight scenes.  Stay for the soundtrack.
As soon as it comes to Netflix, I will see it. I'm also waiting for the Foreigner.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I just reserved it at the library.

I'm 53rd in the queue.

I'll be 135 years old when I review it.

That's what's known as hyperbole.  I hope.
I'm nobody's pony.
So, yeah. I wasn't as blown away as the DM. Once again, too many trailers, so nothing came as a big surprise. Except for Charlize's nudity. You would think a big star wouldn't have to put up with that.

I asked the Queen if she thought it was empowering to see Charlize in the John Wick role . Her response was "Is she wearing thigh high boots and low cut blouses?" Yeah, totally empowered" So, that.

The fights were good. But I kept asking shouldn't that guy be dead from that blow? 

I especially like the extended shot in the car chase sequence because I kept trying to figure where they put the camera. My conclusion is they stitched a bunch of shots together to make it seemless.

I wanted this film to be trickier and it wasn't. Or maybe I just didn't get the trickiness.

(01-02-2018, 07:17 AM)Greg Wrote: Except for Charlize's nudity. You would think a big star wouldn't have to put up with that.

You need to rewatch Monster and then ask tQ whether that is empowering.  Keep in mind, Charlize swept the awards that year with her role in that.  

http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=4068
There is a difference in nudity for Monster when she was just breaking out and for Atomic Blonde, when she is a big time star.

Just like there's a difference between nudity for an academy award and nudity for ultravi?
Good action flick. Delivered what I like most in these things: Good acting, writing, euro-locales, tip-top violence. I thought the plot twisty enough, no obvious holes. Could also have been called "Deborah Harry: Super-Spy", and really, what is wrong woth that, I ask you?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Hmmm.  Just received notice that Atomic Blonde is ready for pick-up at the library.
That was fast, considering I was 53rd in line.

I suspect it's due to that disturbing trend I see in the library these days, where multiple copies (as many as 10!) of "new releases" are purchased, while there's only one (if any at all) scratchy copy of older masterpieces.

But in this case I won't complain.

No, wait.  I just did.

Anyway, review to follow.
I'm nobody's pony.
I see that at my library too. And then I see the dvds at the library sale after they de-accession most of them a year later. So stupid. Money better spent on books. Now there is a video streaming app for libraries (Hoopla) so maybe they will gradually move away from this waste.
the hands that guide me are invisible
When I worked at S'vale public library, I was in the media center, which was 3 computers, VHS and CDs.  I became the 'go to' guy for VHS repair because I figured out how to splice.  Such a useful skill now.  Almost as practical as knowing how to properly use a sword.  Blush