Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sky on Fire
Its been a while since I've watched a Ringo Lam flick and this one stars my dear friend Daniel Wu. It's another 'on fire' film, the first of which, City on Fire, had its finale poached by Tarantino for Reservoir Dogs. Lam has not lost his unique cinematic viewpoint and his action sequences are gritty and gorgeous. It's about a cure for cancer and greed, and there's cg burning scenes. Daniel does what he does best, straddling loyalty with conscious while burdened with past tragedy. It's confusing at points and the ending is a bit silly, but there was enough fresh ultravi to keep me engaged. That and Daniel - fun to watch him in anything for me now. I spoke to him on either side of making this film. He was excited to work with the legendary Ringo before, but somewhat disappointed at Ringo's rigidity after. In a nutshell, the beginning was disjointed and the end was silly, but the middle was good and the ultravi was excellent.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Wow, I should've woke a few more neurons for viewing this.  It felt like Ghostbusters for some reason, except instead of ghosts it's ex-stem cells, and instead of humor, it's ultra-violence.

No one seemed to know who was in charge, in the lab, the hospital, the police force, or the other police force (well, there were two uniformed groups with guns).  A lot of I'm in charge, no, I'm in charge, or confrontations in hallways or rooms where stare-downs determine who passes.  And of course Daniel Wu has a formidable stare.  Wouldn't they have worked out chains of command in these places?

Yeah, it would be interesting to meet someone who grokked this whole thing on first viewing.  I'm stunned at how little I followed.

There's a young woman with cancer, whose older brother is trying to save her by stealing ex-stem cells.  Except he isn't really her brother, and it might be a love interest, but why does he always have to leave her?  Why does he hide from her?  Brains on spin cycle would like to know.
I'm nobody's pony.
This is now Ringo’s final film. He did some work on an upcoming anthology but there were 7 other directors, each doing segments.

I saw the tribute on Stephen Fung’s gram (Into the Badlands action director). Curious to see what Daniel will post. I think he’s back in the Bay Area after just completing a film in HK, and have been toying with reaching out.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse