Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mary Kom (2014) by Omung Kumar
Having enjoyed Dangal, about two daughters raised to become great westlers, I decided to take a gander at Mary Kom, about an Indian girl who grows up determined to be a boxer, despite her father's strong opposition.

Priyanka Chopra (now in the Quantico TV series which I know nothing about) seems very good as Mary Kom.  But I only made it a third of the way through.

Was it a bad script, or the lack of a budget?  Maybe a combination of both.  Time and again we see MK standing at ring center, smiling as the ref holds her hand up in victory.  What about showing a bit of the fight?  And then out of nowhere there's a scene where she's frantic because she can't find her passport, and all her teammates are enjoying her misery.  Was she intensely disliked by her teammates?  I really don't know.  The scene ends with MK emerging from her room to join the others, and now she is calm -- and bald.  She cut off all her hair.  This surprises her teammates, and further confuses the hell out of me, because there was no resolution about the passport.

Soon after, there's mention of her being beaten in international competition and India is again a disappointment to the world, and MK is back in the States -- no, back in India!  note to self: India movie! -- all calm and peaceful, and I'm thinking, what about that international tournament?  What about her effin' fight?

It just wasn't coming together for me dramatically and I finally bailed.

The main review on IMDB calls it a very good movie, but with a bad dramatic climax.  If so, I'm glad I didn't stick around, because to me it was all bad drama.

There are some fights, and Priyanka Chopra looks competent and intense from what little I saw, but none of those fights were all that compelling.  But who knows.  Maybe what I didn't watch is brilliant.
I'm nobody's pony.
Sorry I didn't warn you more loudly on this one.  I had pretty much the same reaction.  Very disappointing film.

See http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...9#pid21739.

For good Priyanka, check out Barfi.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse