Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iron Maiden @ Oracle Arena 07/05/17
The more metal shows I attend, the more the crowd reminds me of Deadheads. Only Reggae shows have as much of a 'Take Care of Your  Brother' vibe as a classic metal concert. Maybe it's an age thing. People are bringing their kids to these shows and expecting everyone to be on their best behavior. Maybe it's because everyone has to be back to work the next morning. Anyway, a metal show lets you release some aggression through the music and release those precious endorphins.

The opening band was Ghost. They have a huge following and headlined their own show at The Warfield on July 2nd. They are a 'costume' band (whiteface and robes) and the lead singer dresses like the pope. Their lyrics are anti-Christian and embrace the dark side. They were awesome.

Iron Maiden played a fantastic set. Many of the songs were from the new album "Book of Souls" which is a great record and did not disappoint. I was a little bummed that classics "Can I Play with Madness" and "Two Minutes to Midnight" were excluded but sacrifices had to be made.

The encore featured a giant "Witch Doctor Eddie" head and shoulders rising from behind the drum kit and moving to the music. Very lifelike puppetry.

I bought a T-shirt which I rarely do these days. It was exclusive to the L.A./Bay Area shows with Eddie relaxing on a beach with a drink and a spliff.
[Image: magpie13.gif]