Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP EvH
I am sad...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van...cancer-65/

He was inspiring innovator to me because he always came up with work-arounds for things he didn't know how to do. Like instead of classical-style finger picking, he just used his fast-picking, finger hammering to fake it:

He patented a flip-out support for guitarists so they could play two-hand style:
[Image: feature_vanhalen.jpg]

--tg
I'm kind of ambivalent about EvH. I can't argue with how great he was as a guitar player. But he was terrible at running a band. I though he treated Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony terribly.

But it was sad to see the tweet come out from his son.

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I saw EvH many times and he could shred, no doubt about that. 

I worked the pit for Van Hagar and was so bored that I found a chair and read my Bible (I carried a pocket Bible in those days for when I rode BART). 

Here - check out this archived DOOMpost: http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...hp?tid=976

Now I'm remembering our fallen brother LB again...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I have a slight Van Halen story. My friend Lyndell didn't really care for VH. He used to be able to see them as the band that played parties in Pasadena and didn't know what the big deal was about them.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Ha. I ca relate. I mean VH was the band of our childhoods. It took me a long to to 'get' Eddie. It was just another pop rock band to me when I was growing up. I was more amused by David Lee Roth because he did Kung Fu. That was a story I always wanted to get but never did. 

But then I learned a lot more about music and realized the Eddie was the guitarist all the others were imitating. He was the originator of that guitar sound. Plus I learned a lot more about how to listen to guitar, thanks to Jerry. 

And then I started seeing him live.
Never much cared for his style, but VH had several great songs.

I feel like he was the last of the guitar gods. Rock is not dominant anymore and after EDM started it became cooler to be a DJ than a guitar player.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Yeah, it's not really my sound either. I've never owned any VH anything. What I heard on the radio and in concert was plenty. I'm wondering if I even have a VH RM lammy. Nevertheless, I respect what he brought to pop music.

TG - you might enjoy this article by EVH on his guitar tinkering
the hands that guide me are invisible
Thx, I hadn’t read that one.

—tg