Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gregory R Lynch Sr.
That was very good. You can do mine when I top myself in my John Wick car.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Well done Greg. Very well done.
the hands that guide me are invisible
For a moment today, I was happy. I reached out to the Limerick Leader, our local paper in Ireland, about my father and today they printed the article I wrote about him in print and online.

Greg Lynch in the Limerick Leader
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Also very well written. Greg, you really nailed these remembrances.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
On July 27, I held a last poker game in my father's honor. He had had a monthly game at the house for years with a group called SIRS. When I was going through his papers after his death, I found the list for the poker events and noticed it was his turn to host the next game. Well, I notified his fellow players and told them I would like to hold a last match in his honor. They all enthusiastically agreed.

Oopsy.

I was going to host because I figured I knew how to play poker. Ah, no. Not even a little. I jokingly posted on Facebook that I was going to take all these old guys' money. No, again.

Holy crap did I get schooled. It was even close. I was so confused and discombobulated by all the new terms and games I lost hands I should have won. It was a swirl of confusion so that by the end I was reduced to monosyllables in my chair.

If you think since you play draw, stud, and hold'em, that you know how to play poker, you are sadly mistaken my friend. And after playing with the old men, those are the most pale imitations of poker I have ever seen. I though I would do a round of hold 'em when it was my turn to deal (Dealer picks the game) and they politely agreed. But I was so confused at this point, I forgot how to deal hold'em. One player was so disgusted he tossed in his cards in disgust. But hold'em was seriously dull compared to the other games we played. It was like kid's T-ball compared to major league baseball.

What were the new games I learned? Well there was Cross, Elevator, Screw your neighbor, Omaha, Double Omaha and a couple of others. Each game there was a high hand and a low hand. Sometimes you played so that if you had the low spade in your hole cards you won. ( I would have won but figured somebody had the ace to beat my two after an errant remark by another player. Turns out the Ace was high that hand and the 2 in my hand would have won) It was non stop betting.

It was a whirlwind that I did not ride. I donated all my money to the other players.

They did invite me to join the group in my fathers stead, but I told them I lived too far away Plus, I can't afford another beating like I was delivered.

It's going to be awkward today and tomorrow. Possibly Wednesday, too.

It took me some time to find this thread. I kept looking for Dad. So, formal.

At this time last year, I was planning a busy day being away from the house, because the folks were getting on my nerves.

Yup. Mind your music selections. Music pierces stoicism with ease. My mom’s birthday is on Wednesday.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Some times really bad jokes appear in your head.

Today's the day we put my father in the ground.

Six days later, he was dead.

(07-15-2018, 08:08 AM)Greg Wrote: Some times really bad jokes appear in your head

(10-22-2013, 11:20 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: Gallows humor is the truest humor.  I'm glad for you that you have these really good memories of your time with your dad.  I have some with my mom, but really nothing pleasant with my dad.
FB just gave me a gut check and reminded me today was my father's birthday. What with the swirl of Festival madness, I had completely forgotten.

Now, I remember.....dammit.

My mom forgot my dad's birthday this year. I had to remind her http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...1#pid40321

Soon I maybe the only person who remembers my father's birthday. Maybe I already am.
I don’t remember my fathers birthday, just my mom’s.