Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangal
This is Bollywood that blew up in PRC. It's about India's first female world gold medal wrestlers, sisters driven from childhood by their psycho stage dad coach. The dad is Aamir Khan, one of my fav actors, short with weird ears, intense eyebrows and buff as fuk. But he plays an older man in most of this and wears a fat suit to give him a belly. No dance numbers but many musical interludes. I was surprisingly captivated by this, especially the wrestling matches even though they were totally predictable from a sports movie perspective.  It's based on real champions so it's obvious they win in the end. But I get why china luvs it - it's about family sacrifice, coming from nothingness and making it through intense discipline.

I might only recommend this to cf as he's into bollywood and PRC film. It'll be too long winded for the rest of doom.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
DM, how did you see this?  Just wondering...
I'm nobody's pony.
netflix streaming. 

they've expanded their Indian film library.
Ah, yes.  Canistreamit claimed it wasn't available for streaming by anyone (that site seems pretty worthless anymore).  But then I searched for it on netflix streaming and there it was.

Nice.  Only meant to watch part of it tonight, but watched it all.  Pretty standard sports film, but I seem to be a sucker for them.  Got my adrenalin all pumped.

The wrestling footage was quite good, showing the bouts full-body (Fred Astaire would approve), with the actresses doing it all themselves, from what I could tell.

Aamir Khan, who plays the father (and is one of my favorite Indian actors too), goes through an amazing physical transformation from chiseled physique with bulging muscles to pot-bellied and flabby-armed.  I suspect there was CGI involved, but can't say for sure.  Will have to do some google searches about it.

All in all, better than I expected, helped a lot by charismatic actresses (two sets, for different ages) who can actually wrestle.
I'm nobody's pony.
I was surprised how invested I became in it.  No dance numbers.  No Bollywood hotties in saris.  No sword fights.  But it was fairly engaging.  I would attribute it to Aamir, but he sort of a one-note performance.  It was really about the four female stars, who weren't objectified at all.  Reminded me of Lagaan a bit in that it should not have worked for me, but it did.  It's been years since I've seen Lagaan tho, so maybe it won't still work for me.  That came up on Netflix too, but I've yet to give it a go again.