Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
I figure some of you have read this - it's almost 30 years old - but there was no thread, so here I go. It's about an angel and a  demon who have been on earth since the Creation, and who decide to work together to prevent Armageddon, because they have found that they both rather like the earth, and would prefer it not end. I think I've read another book or story with the same plot, but I can't remember what it was, so I may be imagining it.

It moved along quickly and was mostly clever, but I found that it suffered from trying too hard to be funny. Some of the jokes were good, but a number were not, and there was a repeated joke involving a stereotyped Asian accent (prease for please etc.) that was unfunny and just lazy, and there was a scene where suicide bombing is played for laughs, which also would have been impossible as described. I assume that the hammering with jokes is Pratchett's style, since Gaiman doesn't write that way, and it leaves me not wanting to read anything else by him. (If I had read it at about age 11 or 12, however, I would have thought that it was hilarious.) Despite this flaw, there is a good book in there, it's just got a bunch of crap around the edges.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I vaguely remember reading the book. And I was reminded that I had read the book when I watched the series on Amazon. The only thing I remembered was when the Demon scares his house plants into growing. I found that hilarious.

The series is okay. I'm up to episode 4. Nothing that really grabs me. There are a bunch of clever scenes. I especially liked the denouement of Agnes Nutter. All the character actors, like Jon Hamm and Michael McKean do a really good job. The whole story is just moving along without a great sense of urgency.

The show isn't great but isn't terrible. I'll watch until the end to see how it turns out.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I just watched the show and enjoyed it. It's a bit low-key, so some might not like it. Gaiman cut back on the Pratchett joke hammering for the screenplay, and that's a plus. As Greg said, the character actors are good. I recommend. And it's only 6 episodes, so not a major time commitment anyway.
the hands that guide me are invisible