Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
If you want the book review, go here: MPHfPC Book Review

No, I'm not merging. You can do that in your free time.

So, Tim Burton. I get the feeling that he makes movies just so he can do particular sequences and doesn't really care about the rest. In this case it was two sequences, one that seems a call back to Frankenweenie where two puppets have a knife fight (Score one for the knife fight) And two at the end where he wanted to do a Harryhausen sequence and have skeletons fight some monsters. (Sword fights!)

After that, he was out. The plot was minuscule with the majority of the scenes devoted to expository dialogue about what the Peculiar Children are and why they are in this time loop, etc And every time I tried to make sense of the time travel aspect of the movie, I got a sharp pain behind my left eye. I feel if I try at this point to explain it more, the pain will increase.

Eva Green played Eva Green. I'm still trying to figure out her appeal but she is appealing.

It looked pretty but it had a similarity to most of Burton's work. Nothing extraordinary. The plot didn't wow me. There wasn't a lot of humor. A lot of the characters had transitory motivations arising when the story required them, but vanishing when it came time to tell the main story.

I say Meh. Even Sam Jackson was a bit hammy, but that's what he does now.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Eva has a couple of obvious qualities...

...her sultry voice and flashing eyes. Aye, carrumba!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
We watched this since Christina had just read the book. I read the book a couple of years ago but remembered almost nothing. I did remember how it ended, which wasn't how the movie ended so I'm guessing they took things from the later books - or just made it up, which happened often, judging from Christina's comments of "That's not in the book." It was fairly entertaining, but nothing special. I liked Miss Peregrine's hair.

Samuel L. Jackson should retire. He's starting to make Dennis Hopper look subtle.
the hands that guide me are invisible
(02-07-2019, 11:28 AM)King Bob Wrote: Samuel L. Jackson should retire. He's starting to make Dennis Hopper look subtle.

EmmerEffer NO! Samuel is EmmerEffing da man!
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The caricature man. Slipping into Johnny Depp territory.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I thought he did a good parody of his character in the first Kingsman movie.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

It’s all about caricature - that’s the highest level of stardom. It’s what I aspire to...
Finally saw this. Enjoyed it.  Very Burton, although the holothingers felt poached from Del Toro, so derivative, not as visionary or original, a tad played out. It was the X-men if they were welsh kids and Prof X was a hawt peregrine (trying to do a Bonham-Carter impersonation here).  Got a bit confused about whether it all worked out plotwise in the end but didn't care.  I wouldn't overly recommend this as some great film, but I didn't bail on it, mostly because of the visuals.

And I stand behind Samuel L.  He's muthafeckin great in this.  Like always.

No sword fights but Samuel turns his hand into a muthafeckin axe.  A mutha feckin AXE!