Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midnight Oil @ The Fox 05/27/17
Back in the day, Tower Records had 'new artist' records for $3.77. I bought records from Adam and the Ants, Midnight Oil and others I don't remember.

The Midnight Oil album was "10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1". It included "Power and the Passion" and "Read About It". The weird, politically-charged art-wave touched a nerve.

Since then I followed their career through "Beds are Burning" to "Blue Sky Mine" and "Forgotten Years".

I saw them once in [Fill in lost memory here], but they have not been to the U.S. since 2002.

The first half was deep-catalog stuff. I didn't recognize any songs except "U.S. Forces" .

The second half + 2 encores were hit-after-hit, the one exception being a Grateful Dead cover "Wharf Rat" exclusively for the Bay Area show.

The weird thing was that The Fox blocked off the entire middle floor area for "Friends and Family" and "Telegraph Room" ticketholders.

Anyway - The place was packed and my 80's nostalgia was satiated.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I'm trying to imagine what a MO version of Wharf Rat would be.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
On the commute home, the DJ on KZSC's Golden Road show, a DEADicated broadcast, was raving about this show. He reminded me that MO did WR for the Deadicated CD, a rainforest benefit where many artists covered dead tunes, which is of course in my antiquated CD collection. He replayed it so now I am refreshed on it. I remember not liking it that much for years - MO's vocals were too punkish for what I felt should be more blues and soulful, but now it makes more sense to me and I like it. Funny how age changes perspective on things.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse