Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Steve 'the lizard king' Campos
I just got word that my friend in hospice passed away yesterday.  

I'll post more later.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Well, that's no Bueno.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I'm glad it was quick...at least relatively so.

I had to go straight into our KFTC25 AF press conference right after getting the news.  Fortunately, it was for Chinese press, so I just had to sit there and nod.  And try to smile.

Steve is the one who originally dubbed me 'drunk monk'.  He is also the person that caused my nacho metaphor to explode.  The nacho thing sort of started with MQ6, but it really got out of hand when Steve and I worked Shoreline together in 87-88.  For years, we kept a work-daily email correspondence we called the nachogram, in which we developed so many private metaphors based on nachos.  After he went on disability a few years ago, the nachogram went to a weekly thing.  I spoke to him a few times in hospice.  I made him a special custom nacho card last weekend, but I doubt he got it in time.  

Steve was my first Rock Med conspirator.  He was the first show manager for the first permanent RM installation in a venue.  And we ruled that house for a few years.  Such shenanigans.   

U2 tonight suddenly got really hard.

Now back to work.
I'll be facile. Remember the good times. Think of how much Steve would have enjoyed being there with you at U2. Think of all the bitching you would share about what a crappy venue for concerts is Levi's stadium. Revel in the music.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Sorry, Dude.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
My condolences DM
the hands that guide me are invisible
What can I say?  Losing him is like losing one of you for me.
I came home to the last letter I sent Steve in hospice - return to sender. It contains my 3 2017 laminates so far this year - Anchor, KFTC25 AF & Cali Roots. I usually sent Steve my lammy overages. Being a former show supe, he appreciated them on many levels.

At Cali Roots, a close friend came after his mom just passed. She had been in the ER where several RMers work all last week. It had been coming, and as we bid goodbye last night, his gf, also a dear friend, said how even though both passings were expected, nothingness prepares you from the finality of it. So true. 

I would've shared my Cali Roots journey with Steve, like I have for all my adventures for years. He wasn't into the net beyond streaming tv and email. And only recently have I been able to post live like I do now. It would be cobbled from scribbled notes taken during the show. And the nachogram version would've been full of nacholingo, thick with cheesy innuendo. 

I suppose I should find a new correspondent/counselor now. Or just repress it all. Or post it here. Time will tell.
My 2nd to last letter just got returned to sender. I made this one special because there are no nacho cards. I regret not sending it more quickly but I was distracted by KFTC25 AF, and I thought I had a little more time. Nowadays, it seems I'm always running out of time. I know Steve knows I sent them -he's up in nachovalhalla, feasting on chips and salsa with a bevy of nachovalkyries, keeping that cheese-filed hot tub bubbling until I can join him again. But it would've been nice if the eyes of his mortal coil could have seen them - they were the final comments of our long earthly dialog.
As I mentioned on the Preacher thread, Steve came back to me last night - http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...0#pid25880

He was with me in San Diego too.  I wound up with some extra postcards.  I always send one to my mom when I'm on the road because I know she loves them.  And since I was going to the effort, I would send Steve one too.  I had to buy 4 postcard stamps and got two free nice postcards in La Jolla from the hotel.  I almost sent one to one of you, but then decided to keep them on my desk as it'll remind me of Tara when she leaves for UCSD.
Holy shit.

Steve was my 'image' of Rock Med. He was the guy who welcomed me when I arrived and directed actions for the show. He was the rock we'd all hang on to. If Steve was there, it was all good. He'd throw me in the psych tent and I honed my skills at calming people down.

I honor and miss him.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I suspect you are thinking of Steve Konrad, not Steve Campos. Konrad is still very much alive, and managing the Greek.
(07-10-2017, 07:38 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I suspect you are thinking of Steve Konrad, not Steve Campos. Konrad is still very much alive, and managing the Greek.

You may be right. Last names were never my strong point.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Steve’s birthday is Groundhog Day. I had a big plate of nachos in his honor for dinner. I still think of things I might have shared with him on our nachogram almost every day. Some of that migrated here, but a lot will just fade as my memory retains less and less now. I have a few mutual friends of Steve that commiserate - Raz, Oddjob, Susan - but we are all far from each other.
Been thinking about Steve and KB's post made me think of him again - http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...&pid=31688