Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clive Cussler
I've fallen down deep into a Clive Cussler hole. Particularly a Remi and Sam Fargo adventure hole.

To be clear, I read Raise the Titanic back when I was 12 and thought it was fine. I read another one a couple of years ago and thought it simplistic. He's quite the prolific writer and collaborator. Much like James Patterson he has a whole slew of books he publishes with other writers, including an author I've been enjoying called Thomas Perry.

When I saw that Perry and Cussler had collaborated on the Fargo adventures, I decided to give them a shot.

Basically, Sam and Remi are treasure hunters but with the best of intentions. They are fabulously wealthy, so it isn't a problem for them to fly off to any spot on the globe in a moments notice. They are really bright. They are really good looking. They are really in love with each other, without ever a cross word between them. It's also very PG rated. A quick peck on the cheek to show they love each other. He's got martial arts skills. She's a crack shot and a fencer. I'd like the whole thing a to man's romance novel.

But I like the places they travel to and the historical context in which they operate. I find myself going to history books and wikipedia to see how accurate they are and they are kind of close. They are introducing me to historic figures I'd never heard of or giving me insight into ones I have a passing familiarity with. For instance, they did one book on searching for Atilla the Huns final resting place. In it, they talked about Hungary and Rome which are both currently on my radar.

The problem is, Perry only wrote two of the dozen books. And the quality is uneven between the myriad writers. Perry's novels were a little grittier and the banter was less.

They are kind of entertaining and diverting. But they ain't Shakespeare.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The higher my stress, the lighter my reading. These sound just fine to me.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Okay, The first five books were fair. I liked the two by Thomas Perry. The two books by Russel Blake were execrable. It didn't feel like he knew the characters. The series gets back on track with Robin Burcell and 'Pirate'

This Cussler kid is prolific. He follows the Patterson method of book production by working with multiple authors on multiple series.

I've switched to the Isaac Bell series and have read three of them.

They follow the adventures of Isaac Bell  a turn of the century detective working for the Van Dorn agency (think Pinkertons) It's all about trains, old cars, and motorcycles and chases across america in the Dawn of the Industrial era.

In The Chase, Bell is up against a tricky bank robber who murders everyone in the bank so there is never an eye witness, which makes him a prolific serial killer as well. The setting is San Francisco in 1906, so you'll never guess what happens during the course of the investigation.

In The Wrecker, Bell museum stop an anarchist from destroying the Southern Pacific railroad. But is it actually an anarchist behind this sabotage or something else. Best of all The Wrecker wields a spring loaded sword to kill some of his victims.

The books are quite fun and there are plenty of them. The purity of the romance between Bell and his paramour work in this old-time setting where it felt odd in the Fargo series.

I will continue to read these.