Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Man Standing
Well, my dear confidante friend who I mentioned on the 4:20 thread has been transferred to a nursing home for hospice. I'll call him tomorrow. At his request, they've upped his meds to 'drifting & dozing'. I'm dealing with a crapload of issues right now at work and home, stuff I would bounce off him in years past. Now, selfish me, I'm at a loss.

In addition, I got a reply from my Dragon Crew recruitment emailblast from one of my younger King Fu brothers, built like a marine, a professional bodyguard in peak physical condition. And a great guy. He can't make it because he was just diagnosed with the big C. Testicular but already metastasized to his lymphatic system, which as you probably know, is really bad. He's in his 30s.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Well, crap.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Dude, your shitstorm is big.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

There's actually more but I'm sworn to keep confidential for now. More will come out soon, which is in part why I launched this here thread (although some of the other stuff is - well, other stuff).
Awh, man.

Ominous with a capital O.
I'm nobody's pony.
I spoke to my friend and his mom, who is bedside. I've never met her, only his dad, who passed away several years ago. He has opted for the max rx dosage, sacrificing coherance for less pain. But he seemed pretty cogent, and I said that it was from a lifetime of practice of appearing to be coherent when under heavy influence. Got a little chuckle from him on that. He commented on how it was having his friends and family on 'death watch' so he's very aware of his situation, and facing it so bravely that it makes me misty to bear witness. Then again, drugs embue bravery, but here, that's a good thing. It brings me right back to when my dad was in hospice,and I'd visit him every week, trying to make contact and offer support, knowing that these might be the last moments we would share.
He's fortunate to have you as a friend.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I've been the fortunate one to have his counsel for so many years.

He is the one who first dubbed me the Drunk Monk - that was like two decades ago.
I was scheduled to call my friend Steve through his friend Toni who is bedside today, but he is no longer taking calls so we had to cancel. His mom has already gone home to NorCal (he's in Portland). Toni, who I've never met but feel I know well from years of correspondence, has been attending to him daily. She says he's in no shape to talk anymore and has requested no more calls. Looks like the last one might have been the last one.
I spent nearly an hour at Paper Vision (cool SC card store) trying to find a card for Steve. I picked out some Mother's Day immediately but Steve was trickier. I tried to imagine what I'd want to see from my deathbed - we shared a lot of surreal tastes. I finally decided on a colorful sunset and wrote something only he'd understand. I'll mail it tomorrow and hope he lives to receive it.