Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brotherhood of Blades (2014)
I don't know why this has sat unwatched in my Netflix queue for so long. It's got 'brotherhood ' and 'blades' in the title.  Got to be a winner, right? Well, it is. Another modern wuxia - sumptuous sets, gorgeous costumes, panoramic cinematography, soap opera intrigue but instead of everyone sleeping around, everyone's got each other's blood on their hands. Just enough plot to build to a fine finale of sanguinosity. But let's cut to the chase. It's all about the blades. Sword fights a plenty. Decent ones too. Heavy on the digital blood and 1-shot/1-cut, but still very engaging. There's even a swept-hilt wielding sword hottie. Chop, slice and stab. My kinda flick. DOOM recommended especially for those in the brotherhood who like blades. 

I finally got around to this because they just announced a sequel is in production, but this ends like a classic wuxia, so that'll be tough to pick it up where it left off.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Meant to post this in Doom DVDs and Downloads

Can't always see what I'm doing when posting from my iPhone...
About that sequel, first I must confess I remember very little about BoB 1 beyond that saber swordswoman, and I had to re-read that here to remind myself. This is more of the same - twisty overly complex tale of intrigue parsed by superheroic swordfights. Everyone packs a cold arm, mostly swords, but also a spiky bag and a flaming meteor hammer. Still 1-action /1-cut choreography, but entertaining like a manga. It’s like Chinese knights in armor. Costumes, sets and locations are still gorgeous, specially if you like deep greens, purples and teal. The weapons are pretty and solid looking. DOOM recommended. I think I liked this one better than part 1, but that may just be recency effect.

Someone sent me copies for our sweepstakes but I don’t know who. No one from wellgo or any of the promo reps reached out to me. They sent me Reset too. I’ll queue them but it’s weird because I don’t know who to check in with on this. I’m already booked for 2 months. It’s CNY promos.
For the record, PII is the prequel. But I can't remember enough about PI to get the connection.  Nor do I really care that much.  It had amusing swordfights, and that's enough for me.  Honestly, that's all I really ask from a film.