Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi
I think I'm done with Scalzi. His books tend to have a certain sameness to them with all the characters written along two very similar lines. They are all snarky. And none of them show much emotion. They are like puppets placed forward to spout lines to move the plot.

In this iteration, there is a galactic empire that is on the verge of collapsing because the method of travel between the worlds is about to come to an end. There is a new empress faced with the task of doing her job. There is foul mouthed ship owner who spends her time being foul mouthed. There is another newbie who has to travel to the galactic capital to warn of the upcoming demise of the empire.

For some reason, Scalzi gives the ships names based on pop songs that no one in this empire have heard in over a thousand years. It's very awkward.

Some of the reviewers are calling it the Space Opera version of Game of Thrones. Yeah, no. It's not that complex. There isn't that level of machiavelliness in it. It's all very simple and straightforward. At least the book ends with a lot of loose threads in order to fuel the rest of the books in the series. I'll probably read them, but I won't be in any great rush. 

Scalzi wrote one great book and that was Old Man's War. It's been a rehash of that style since then.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Agreed. I'll still read him, though, when I find a used copy. It's like reading Robert Ludlum. No surprises, just predictable set pieces and Nazis. Comforting sameness.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Ah, Nazis.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm