Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preacher
"Preacher" has been mentioned in a couple other threads but, since I binge-watched the season I thought it deserved its own space.

After watchig season 1 I went back and read the graphic novels.

They are two different animals.

Fanboys are right when they say the show is similar to the comics only in name. The characters and core elements were imported into a new environment and history. But that's OK. The TV show was well written and well acted. There were a few differences I thought were important.

"Arseface" is Sheriff Hugo Root's son (Eugene). In the comic, Hugo Root is a nasty, homophobic, racist cop. He blames any mysterious deaths on "nigger martians". He is a horrible human being. His son enters into a suicide pact with a similarly abused high-school friend to kill themselves like their idol, Kurt Cobain. His friend succeeds but he just blows his jaw off.

On the TV show he is portrayed as a murderer who failed to kill himself after being rejected by his girlfriend.

This is huge. He goes from being a sympathetic, abused kid to a psycho killer.

That being said, if Garth Ennis is truly involved I will accept the changes that embrace the spirit of the story and help the script evolve.

Hopefully there's a season 2.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Never read the comic and probably won't. I do have issues with assface being named Eugene, but the vampire kills me and this show turned me on to Ruth Negga. Season 2 is on the way, last I heard.

http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...&pid=23299
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Ive been tentative about starting season 2. My dear friend the lizard king who passed away before KFTC25 af turned me on to Preacher and we always chatted about the eps because we both enjoyed it so. But I really fell into s2e1 - still luv its twisted humor and ultravi.

Then at the end of the ep were two words. For Steve. God I miss him.
S2E3 has a tight little single shot fight scene. And Eugene is back...in hell. I can so relate.

Still luvin this show.
(08-22-2017, 06:38 AM)Greg Wrote: I'll type slow so you can understand me: Don't watch any more.
I took Greg's advice and gave up on the Defenders. I'm back here glued to Preacher. Such sacriligeous, blasphemous fun, reminiscent of Dogma. So entertaining.
Just finished season 2. This is my fav show right now. It's so over the top absurd but it hits all the right notes to keep me entertained. 

Can't wait for season 3.
Guess who just got access to screeners of the first 3 eps of Season 3?

AMC luvs me.
See? Wearing knickers and putting out does pay off.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

For the record, Baron Chau's uniforms are inspired by fencing knickers.

[Image: latest?cb=20170421210441]

But I'm Team Widow, 100%.  This should really be on another thread tho...
Why do I luv this show?  The exquisitely choregraphed ultravi?  The blatent blasphemy?  The cast - Dominic, Pip, Ruth...Joe - man, who doesn't luv an Irish vampire?

So it turned out that I didn't have access to the previews via my AMC account, but I asked nicely, explaining that there wasn't anything I could really write about this because it's not all that martial despite some great fight scenes, and that I'm just a fan, and viola!  AMC luvs me and granted me access.  The first 3 eps are good fun, in tune with the previous seasons.  Ep1 resolves the cliffhanger from last season in a predictable fashion with a surreal and Tulip-revealing take on purgatory, and takes us into the Season 3 story arc, which is pretty amusing in that creepy N'awlins way and has a background single-shot fight scene that's great.  Ep2 has a spectacular firefight that reminded me of the Church scene in Kingsman. And Ep3 lined up something downright gladiatorial.  Yeah, I'm all in.  Just luv this show.  It's so entertaining on som many levels for me.

I already saw tomorrow's ep which makes up the bulk of this teaser.  Still luvin this show.  My guiltiest pleasure.
Finished Season 3.  The finale is tonight but I already watched it via AMC privilege.  Still luvin it.  The introduction of Satan took me aback for a bit, but I'm enjoying their take on the character.  And the new vampire story arc was quite funny.  Allfather was grotesque, a spin on Jabba/Harkonen but so obesidly actualized. And Hitler is hysterical. Dominic, Ruth & Joe are still killing it.  I'm all in for Season 4.
Started Season 4 - the final Season.  Didn't make it through the first ep because it was late because I watched too much GoT already, and fell asleep.  I'm excited to be back in the Preacher world however and for the promise of closure.
Finished s4e1. Very sanguineously satisfying. Gritty fights, lotsa headbutts. It’s the banter that really sells it tho. 1st one’s free. The next 3 eps only give you 10 mins of preview so I guess I must finish them at my mom’s. It’s sarcasm is hilarious. So blasphemous.