Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iron Fist
Why the heck does Hollywood think whitewashed Kung Fu masters go barefoot? It's a Kwai Chang Caine thing, right?

Colleen's shinai etiquette was all wrong. You never lean on a shinai like a cane. Plus her shinai still had the packing strings on it; those are removed when you use a shinai.

And a Chinatown dragon dance? Oh man. I might not make it through ep 1. I may just skip to the ep rza directed.

A Tibetan Buddhist spouting zen sayings is like a Protestant quoting the Book of Mormon.

The world's greatest Kung Fu master can't even do a half lotus.

I think I'm enjoying this show because it gives me so much to complain about.  Tongue

Rand can take out armed hitman and he can't handle a few psych techs? 

Yeah, I'm into ep 2. I should really go to sleep now.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Danny is in 4 point restraint without a chest strap, which means he could easily unbuckle his wrist strap with his teeth.
It's just a show, it's just a show, it's just a show....

I watched eps 1 & 2 and hit the hay at 3:45am. Could have done one more, but I had to be intelligible today.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
It's a dumb show. Iron Fist has been long awaited by the martial world and they could've at least has some decent fight choreography.

It's working for you though? As good as the rest of the Defenders for you?

Don't spoil my dissin-it fun, man.
I think this is the weakest of the franchise. The scenes in the "dojo" are annoying to me and must be like nails on a blackboard to you (the way fencing salles are sometimes portrayed in movies/tv grates on my last nerve). I'm still watching it, but when you think that Jessica Jones and Luke Cage came from the same people, it is disappointing.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
The dojo is the worst part. The killing blow.

I will go back to dissing it more later then.
Lots to diss. The writing is particularly weak, so I can't tell if the actors are not good or if it is just the material. Given how good previous outings were, this is disappointment squared.
DM, please catch up on this so I can hate it with you. The rest of you, rewatch Jessica Jones or Luke Cage.
That's like some deadhead trying to convince me to sniff glue. 'Duuude, take a whiff of this. I've never come down from it.'

I'll watch a few more eps to stay in the conversation because it's all the talk in my martial world right now. And I'll watch ep 6 because RZA directed it. But I didn't watch all of DD or LC, even though I enjoyed what I saw, and I never watched JJ. I may just watch Danny Trejo flicks for a while and catch up on Lucha Underground and From Dawn til Dusk. The show runners for both shows are on set. I RIDE WITH EL REY.
Okay. I watched this on the dying TV. I'm beginning to think a lot of my complaints about the darkness of the Marvel Universe could be blamed on the TV. But the darkness of the TV can't explain away the stupidity of this first episode.

Yeah, barefoot. What the hell? He wasn't in a coma for 15 years, he was training in Kundun. Plus, he came from this civilization. He would know people would be freaked out by his lack of shoes.

And his plan? I'll just walk into this multibillion corporate headquarter looking like a bum and ask to talk to the president of the company. What could be wrong there? Dumb. Gee, why doesn't any one believe me? And the explanation for why he couldn't prove who he was? Dumb. Get a lawyer. Go through channels. Call the paper and announce your return. Dumb.

Gee, do you think somebody tried to kill his family. 

Danny Rand is just too naive. I like my heroes to be smarter.

Dumb. I'll watch more when the TV is better and I can see the dumbness in all it's 4K glory.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I've been trying to get myself to watch the RZA directed ep, but I'm so disappointed by this.  It makes me sad.  That being said, Man with the Iron Fist sucked too.  Maybe it's something about 'Iron Fist'.  Maybe that should never be in a title. Both this and MwtIF had decent stunt crews.  Luke needed to don his mask earlier so the could swap in that body double like with DD.  

The barefoot thing is a weird artifact from Carradine's Kung Fu TV show, IMO.  I've always assumed that was because they don't wear shoes in a Japanese Dojo, therefore all martial arts - Chinese or Japanese - shouldn't wear shoes on the street?  Is that whitewashing logic?  Throw me a bone here.  

Hold the phone - I just got a great idea for an infomercial for Tiger Claw shoes... Big Grin
You can kind of understand it in the old west. Maybe not everyone had shoes, so it wasn't so out of place.

But come on. You would think some of the smart people over at Marvel would have taken a look at these scripts and just said 'The bit without shoes is dumb. Do something else"

If the whites whitewashed this, wouldn't Danny Rand be sporting expensive Air Jordans?

I got no bones to throw. How did Dumb Danny get all the way from Kundun without shoes? They wouldn't have let him on a plane that way. Somebody must have give him some shoes along the way or pointed it out. Or maybe if has a good no-shoe policy, they could have stated that?

Maybe next season will be about his journey without shoes.

I'll watch more to see how far the depths of dumbness have been plumbed.

(04-18-2017, 10:09 AM)Greg Wrote: You can kind of understand it in the old west. Maybe not everyone had shoes, so it wasn't so out of place.

Is that why cowboy boots were such a thing?

(04-18-2017, 10:09 AM)Greg Wrote: If the whites whitewashed this, wouldn't Danny Rand be sporting expensive Air Jordans?

That would be blacks blackwashing this.  And that would surely have been an improvement.  

(04-18-2017, 10:09 AM)Greg Wrote: I got no bones to throw. How did Dumb Danny get all the way from Kundun without shoes? They wouldn't have let him on a plane that way. Somebody must have give him some shoes along the way or pointed it out. Or maybe if has a good no-shoe policy, they could have stated that?

Don't you gotta take your shoes off to board a plane now?  

The killer for me is that I must watch the Defenders.  My CO-STAR Marko Zaror is in it.  srsly.
What? White man can't have Jordans?

(04-18-2017, 11:01 AM)Greg Wrote: What? White man can't have Jordans?

Actually, I just wanted to say 'blackwashing'.   

If I kept the alliteration, would it be blackbathing?  

And if it was Asian...<cue racist Chinese laundry joke set up here>

Blush