Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Alice Cooper - Golf Monster" and "Fortunate Son - John Fogerty"
I Really enjoy rock auto/biographies.

The mix of culture/psychology/anthropology really floats my boat.

I want a boat. I'd like to sleep on the waves or sail to Saucilito for lunch.

But I don't have a boat, so I read biographies of rich people with boats. Although many rich people don't have boats.

Alice Cooper does not have a boat.

Alice Cooper loves golf. His book is half casual mentions of his career and half golf tips. This is not a joke. He interjects his vague recollections of his rock career with his ridiculously detailed '12 Steps of Golf'.

I wanted in-depth analyses of each and every song from "Welcome to My Nightmare" to "Da Da". I know he had a serious substance abuse problem but I had hoped he remembered details of the recording sesions with Vincent Price and Bernie Taupin but all he gave were vague inspirations and distant memories. Really, the guy wanted to write a book on golf.

I met Alice once.

The local CBS Records rep got me on his tour bus. He and Ozzy Osbourne were the nicest rock stars I ever met. It was his birthday and there was a coffin-shaped cake on the RV's table. We chatted for a bit and he said he had just watched "Suspiria" by director...."

I offered "Dario Argento" and Alice gave me the  'look'.

I treasure that look to this day.

Before we left I asked him to sign my most treasured Alice Cooper posession, a copy of the "Da Da" CD from Japan (it was never released on CD in the U.S.).

He looked at it and I saw a glaze come over his eyes. He says in his book "he does not remember recording "Flush the Fashion" ", "Zipper Catches Skin" or "Da Da".

I don't blame him for the first two atrocities, but "Da Da" was produced by Bob Ezrin ("The Wall") and has some brilliant songs.

Anyway, Alice goes on about his passion for Christianity and golf.

Meanwhile, on another shellf.

John Fogerty "Fortunate Son". The guy is a dick and it's painfull to read.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I had that same bad taste in the mouth experience with This Must Be the Place (about the Talking Heads). Tina Weymouth came off as hating David Byrne and super bitter and angry that she is not as famous as he is, and that he wrote out parts for her (she couldn't play at the outset), of course forgetting that she would be nowhere if she hadn't been in the Talking Heads.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I saw Tom Tom Club when they opened for the Dead on NYE 1988.  I always liked Tina - cute blonde bassist.  But she began by chiding the deadheads, asking us all somewhat sarcastically if we had ever taken acid.  srsly?  My cute blonde bassist crush was over.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The Talking Heads were my band. I loved 'Stop Making Sense' It seems like there was a lot acrimony that will never be healed. I used to blame David Byrne for the split but I'm no longer so sure.

I too read a lot of Rockstars biographies. I had Springsteens but couldn't get it started before I had to give it back to the library.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

From Cradle to the Stage

I'm hijacking this thread for Rockstar Bios

Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana)'s mother decided she would interview other mothers of Rock stars to see if there was a common thread on rock stars as children.

She interviewed about twenty moms, including Kurt Cobain's mom, for the book. The stories are short and there isn't a lot of depth but it is fun to see how these kids grew up. Mostly the kids were hyperactive who used music as an outlet. So the moral of the story, if you want a rock star child have a hyperactive child.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm