Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YUJA! Santa Cruz Symphony 2/18/17
Yuja Wang is a world class classical pianist. A gorgeous Beijinger who has impeccable fashion sense, the 65 member SC Symphony could not even keep up with her. The house was packed, even more insane because SCMF was going on outside. I caught a little of it before the show because I walked downtown earlier to see the Great Wall. I should really engage that more next year alas it looked fun.  A lot of young people.  In contrast, the symphony is a lot of old people. Makes me proud that my hair, what's left of it, is still black, for the most part. We got Tara a front row seat, Stacy in about the 3rd row and I was back in H, which was fair as I don't play piano.

Two concertos: Prokofiev #5 & Brahms #2. #5 was crazy dissonate, with echos of Peter and the Wolf. It's a rarely performed piece but perfect to show Yujas technical fireworks, especially the crescendo of the last movement. #2 is a popular concerto that showcased Yujas delicate precision. She wore these exquisite backless sequined evening gowns, silver white for #5 and black for #2. Tara said that watching her throw her body into the music was captivating with those bare back gowns. I'm still in awe that someone can even hold that much music inside them. Both compositions are ridiculously complex, seemingly to challenge the mastery of the performer. To witness such fined tuned discipline in the name of art as such a treat and so inspiring.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
It's my first break since KFTC25 AF>Cali Roots>Dead&Co>Ramayana>T's graduation>SNWMF>dad's day. Stacy got 2 tix for Yuja's reprise tonight, thinking she either go with Tara or me (and if both of us wanted to go, we'd pick up a student ticket for Tara). I was going to catch up on things (my lair is a mess) and go.

But I'm sick. Sore throat, achy, dizzy. Always happens when I stop. Maybe I've been ill for a while but my momentum hid it. T wanted to skip tonight but now she feels obligated. I really want to go but must regain my health asap as next week I must close our issue and head down to San Diego for T's orientation. Major bummer.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse