Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Snake Moan (2006)
Samuel L. Jackson as a poor farmer and bluesman. Christina Ricci as an abuse survivor nymphomaniac.  Lots of good music and F-bombs. Enough engaging moments to sustain interest. 

Collar your dog!
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Cf needs to review this.

It is a testament to Samuel mothaeffin Jackson's talent as an actor that I remember any of his performance at all in this film next to a nekkid nympho Christina Ricci chained up in his shack.

The gauntlet is thrown down. Over to you, cf.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Tonight I completed my remedial rewatching of Black Snake  Moan to better recognize Samuel motha L. effin' Jackson's brilliance.  Yes, it's a powerful multilayered performance, and Christina Ricci is no slouch either.

The movie reminds me a bit of Lolita, in the sense that both look like cheap sexploitation on the surface, when in fact they go much deeper in exploring human nature, its weaknesses and its strengths.  All in all, I had forgotten what a great all-around movie Black Snake Moan is.  Ricci chained to a radiator just stands out in the advertising and, alas, in one's memory, so that with time you start reverting to a view of it as just sexploitation.

I opted not to binge-watch the next feature coming up in 12 seconds.  It was The Ridiculous Six.  Please correct if I did bad by turning it off.

Hopefully I've now appeased DM enough that he'll let me get back to actual sexploitation.
I'm nobody's pony.