Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Wages 2017
So my friend Lyndell called me up and wanted to see if I would go with him to Vegas for a motorcycle auction. Lyndell currently does painting of pre-1920 motorcycles of all shapes and sizes. This auction was going to have lot of these bikes. After some hesitation, I am working on something at the moment, I agreed to go with him. The plan was to drive up Wednesday and come back Thursday. For some reason, Lyndell thought it might be an imposition to ask me to take photographs. I reminded him it's what I do.

The auction was held at the Rio Hotel, which I have never been in but see all the time for the Penn and Teller 'Fool Us' show. I'm thinking the Rio is getting a little old.

What was odd about this auction was that there were two other motorcycle auctions going on in Vegas at the same time. The other two were down the Freeway at the South Point Hotel, which is where I stayed when I came through on the my Documentary journey

Okay, there were a lot of motorcycles. And Lyndell knows a lot about them. A lot. A really lot. More than I would ever care to know. The details on the bikes that he would obsess about were amazing. I did a lot of blank brain head nodding when he discuss some minutia. I kind of envied him his fascination and deep dive into knowledge on this subject.

My big fear was not realized. Tthey allowed me to take a tripod into the viewing room and photograph to my hearts content. I had a list of about 40 motorcycles to shoot with names like Nimbus, Vincent, Excelsior, and of course Harley Davidson. There was one bike on display that there are only seven others like it in the world. As an exercise in photography it was enjoyable, but at the end of the day, they were just motorcycles.

I did however see the school dean from Ferris Bueller's Day Off Jeffrey Jones walking amidst the hardware. But that was it for star power. 

I kept horrifying people by telling them my friend was going to paint these motorcycles. It took some explanation to show them he was going to be making paintings not ruining the antiques.

My diet died a hard death at the restaurants. I've realized gambling doesn't hold the fascination for me it once did. I sat at a poker slot machine and all I felt was foolish as I gave it my $20.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Hmmm...  Puzzling over the "lost wages" angle.
Was it the fact that you were doing a friend a favor?
And at something you're very good at and could have charged a client a fair shake for.
I'm nobody's pony.
Or the nickname for Las Vegas........

Well, duh-uh.  I should've known that.  I've done the lost wages thing often enough there.

Though, like you, the luster is off the slots these days.
I'm nobody's pony.
It's been too long since I've been in Sin City. A few decades ago I started going for work - on tour with Phish, working for Cirque du soleil, doing some odd reporting jobs. Now I can't bring myself to pay for it out of my own pocket. I miss it. DOOM had some epic adventures there.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I used to go every Summer around Bastille Day. I hope North Korea gets it together to send a missile right there.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I like motorcycles. Do you have the pictures posted anywhere?
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I put a bunch up on Facebook.

Sorry, Satan - I don't do Facebook
[Image: magpie13.gif]
You know you want to.

I'll make you a Flickr gallery.

Here you go, ED: Bonham Motorcycle Auction

Just note, as many people have already remarked, it is a little Harley Davidson heavy.

My turn to go to Lost Wages. Work. Convention. There is literally no other reason that would get me to go at this time of year. I see it's going to be 106 there, today. I suspect that I will NOT be leaving the convention hotel (Planet Hollywood).
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Yup. We used to go every Bastille Day. OK, mid-July, but ear Bastille Day. Once it was 100 degrees on the strip at midnight.

If North Korea really wants to nuke someplace, I suggest Las Vegas (but after The Queen leaves, naturally)
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Haven't been there in ages. I used to luv to go, until taking statistics in college spoiled my gambler wannabe. Then I only went for business - working for the Dead or Phish or on some Shaolin mission, or for Cirque when I helped them audition martial artists for Ka.

The most epic trip remains the one with ED. I still get flashbacks to that occasionally.

Good luck tq! Bet on the queen of diamonds.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse