Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La La Land
Loved it. Emma Stone rocked my world. Y'all know my luv of musicals. LLL is an homage to golden era musicals, Hollywood, Fred & Ginger, jazz, Rebel without a Cause, movies, magic & music. Technically spectacular with long single takes and elaborate dance numbers (the opening scene is a choreographic spectacle). Simply brilliant. Emma's performance is so oscar-worthy. She is so quick with the details of her facial emotions and those ginormous peepers of hers can turn on the waterworks faster than a blink of her emerald eyes. Uplifting and romantic - the perfect date film.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Emma = Oscar worthy. 

As for Best Picture ... awkward.
Except for the part where it didn't actually win the Oscar......
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The presenters should be made to sit in a car and get riddled in fake bullets for a minute or two.

Either that or have sex on the lam.
I'm nobody's pony.
Oscar, Oscar! It's time for all the Oscar winners to start wending their way through Netflix. First up, La La Land, the musical that took Hollywood by storm. And if there is one thing that Hollywood likes is movies about Hollywood.

Ah, the travails of Hollywood and what could be fresher than a story about a guy and a gal navigating their way through the perilous shoals of Hollywood? I can't think of a thing. There was a lot of moralizing about would you give up to achieve your dreams, especially if the dreams weren't what you had in mind?

The weakest thing about this film is the fact the songs blew and the people singing them weren't very good singers. Okay, Fred Astaire couldn't sing either, but at least he could dance. Ryan Gosling is no Fred Astaire. I could almost see Ryan's lips move as he counted out the time. Both Emma and Ryan were serviceable in their roles. But Emma is starting to bug me. Too wispy. Not a lot of there there.

However, the last five or so minutes weren't bad. It was very creative way to do the third act. It made up for a lot of sins in the previous 115 minutes.

You just hate winners. Even if it was only a winner until someone corrected the biggest club in Oscar history.

http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3970
If you love musicals so much how could you possibly like this one? Maybe you are confused? I'm pretty sure you're the martial arts movie guy.

How about this. Sing any line after the line 'City of Star'. No, I'll wait. Off the top of your head. No googling. Any time now. 

I like musicals to have well music and songs. I can still name you three songs from Moana off the top of my head. And Frozen, what an ear worm of a musical that was.

I think your Redhead fetish clouded your judgement on this one.

So your going to go all Siskel vs. Ebert on this one? Okay, I'll play. But I get to be Siskel cuz his name was Gene (even though I generally sided with Ebert).

My mom had a similar react to LLL as you. I'm beginning to think it's a generational gal - old vs young. She likes Disney cartoons too.

I'll concede that Ryan was weak. My redhead fetish is limited to the Widow and Emma. Actually Emma is more about her enormous anime peepers, which fascinate and creep me out at the same time. 

You gonna merge these or what?
You know you posted on the merged thread, right?

Sorry can't always see everything on my iPhone. Besides I was thinking about my date watching the Widow in a few hours.

Does Nicole Kidman count towards my redhead fetish? It's a fair cop but society is to blame...
I'm curious how it can be generational since you and I are almost the same age?

And what's with John Legend playing the bass? The sight of that made me laugh. And as one critic pointed out, "Just what we need, another white guy explaining Jazz"

I really liked the moment where Gosling goes back to his car after walking Emma to her car. 

Emma's whole face is distracting, too many oversized parts with overly bright red lips. Nicole is a Redhead.

We are the same age in years, but not in mileage.  Well, hmm, that doesn't quite work, does it?  You've got more travel miles than I do.  Yes, that's it.  That's the ticket.  I'm sure of it.

We do need more white guys explaining jazz.  Cuz black guys just play it.  Not sure where us Asians fit into this racial stereotyping cuz the pentatonic scale messed our music up.  Damn five element theory.

I didn't remember that car scene until you mentioned it.  Actually, I still don't.  

Honestly, I'm not sure Emma is human.  Kinda like Julia Roberts.  Aliens cleverly disguised as actresses.  IT MUST BE ALIENS!  But that doesn't mean they aren't entertaining.  Come on now, you're going to bust a nut when you see Guardians 2 and those are all CGI aliens.  Why not just watch real ones?

Amy Adams is a redhead too, right?  I like her.  Hmm, I better reanalyze my redhead fetish.  I'll do that if you reanalyze your disdain for musicals.  

Tongue
I love musicals. But I love them when they are good. Queery the Queen on how many times I've seen Guys and Dolls on TV. (The Queen on the other hand hates musicals. It has something to do with her perfect pitch)

Maybe it's your Bollywood problem?

Yes, I'm seeing GOTG 2 this weekend. Scapino has already planned to spoil it by going on Thursday night.

SPOILER (Ryan walks Emma to her car. They dance. They almost kiss. When Emma volunteers to drive Ryan to his car, he says no. It's just up the hill. Turns out his car was right across from the party) END SPOILER

Amy Adams is all wispy, too. Please don't bring up Emily Blunt to fill up the trifecta.

Guys and Dolls was like what...1955?  old, Old, OLD.  I'm talking new musicals.  Like ones that were made NOT by Disney and after we all got smart phones.  

Okay, I confess, I do have a Bollywood problem.  I used to just dabble in the light stuff, but now it's all about the hard stuff.  BTW, Robot is now available on Netflix - that's like Bollywood crack - it's so good I might have to watch it again.  It's Enthiran in Telugu - http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=2023

Let's see now, the Widow, Emma, Nicole, Amy, Emily, a hot tub of nacho sauce.. mmmm
Okay, so name all these fabulous current musicals that make you such a big fan, not made by Disney and not from India? No, no. I'll wait.

When I think musicals, I think MGM. I think Singing in the Rain, Wizard of Oz. I think Paint your Wagon and Oklahoma. You know, musicals that have music.

Or were you thinking of Grease and Saturday Nigh Fever. I hope you aren't sourcing Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.

You can't eat nachos anymore and I'm sure the Hollywood starlets can't either.