Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogue One
Scapino already spoiled it on sitonmyfacebook. He feckin never learns.

Hey, let's just use the DOOM forum solely to dis him.

Now my tickets for tomorrow night are spoiled.  Dodgy
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I'm sure it's minor. I already read hints about that moment, but still....

I've heard the director for VIII say he doesn't want to release any trailers at all for his movie.

The day after the original came out, Scapino came to school and explained the whole movie, starting with the excitement of seeing the Imperial Cruiser fill the screen. 

The Queen and I will be attending a showing on Wednesday. I've got a movie to edit and a deck to build.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Are you referring to the Nissan Rogue?

I've seen the TV commercials maybe a hundred times now.  Kinda spoils the whole movie knowing that a 2017 Nissan automobile demolishes Imperial Stormtroopers, TIE fighters, droids and whatever else the sense of wonder world of the future has to offer.

One more spoiler.  The Nissan Rogue is red.

My bad.
I'm nobody's pony.
Actually I knew about that too but I just could not resist lambasting scapino on sitonmyfacebook. I wish he'd man up and post here so I could lambast him some more.

I am flashing back to an episode of Happy Days were Potsie spoiled Psycho for everyone. 

Cranefly should write the next Star Wars spin off on Jar Jar.
Like Ray offered some redemption to Phantom, Donnie offers some to Rogue.

Alan helps too.

Rogue really needed a swordfight.
Dayum fanboys be luvin on this film. Maybe it's a DM miscall. Heck I was wrong about deadpool and the election.

As a perhaps-incorrect addendum, skip the 3D. It was astonishingly disappointing in 3D. I wanted tie fighters in my face and only got cgi dead people.
Um, yeah. It was fine, if a bit gimmicky. One cameo went on way too much. Okay. I get it. You've got computers. But a couple were fun surprises.

I really liked Donny Yuen's character, and that's not just because I'm shamelessly mentioning that I got to meet him this year for an interview. Him and his side kick were the best things about the movie.

The battle was fantastic. Lot's of good bangs and things exploding.

But at the end, it was time to find the button to push so we can all win and go home. A lot of it made me scratch my head and go what?

I think I like Force better since it was a bit more shiny. I know they were going for a war film aesthetic but it was too gritty for my taste.

So good and bad.

Sounds like we are on the same page with this one, Greg (unlike Wolf of Wall Street - how can you deny nekkid Margot?)

You know, until this film, the racism of Star Wars never really bugged me. As the only token non-white in DOOM, I feel it's my place to bish about this now.  I often point out how Chewie doesn't get a medal at the end of Star Wars Ep 4.  The last line, if you speak wookie, is Chewie howling "WTF you goddamned racist rebels?!? Wookies don't rate medals!?!  Dayum.  That's cold."  Then there's one black dude in Ep 5, and he's like the ultimate Judas character.  Then in Ep 1, there's all this flack about how the toady aliens were Chinese (WTFingF?!) and of course, Jar Jar.  Now in R1, Star Wars makes an effort to be racially diverse.  Most of the rebels are of different ethnicity, like the crew of the Enterprise.  But ultimately, they are unsung heroes, and what is their fate in the end?  Dayum.  That's cold.  

Angry
Saw this over the break at the redone Capitola cinema on 41st. I got a bunch of folks interested, told them they should all buy advance tix online since it's still the xmas break and a Thurs night. I got 3 tix for me, my GF and my son. We got to the theater, met up with our friends and I tried to redeem my online tix but the kiosk wanted to mock me. Turns out I had bought the tix for the previous night. Sh*t. Talked to the manager there. He was awesome. Swapped out my tix for new ones. Let us pick from the remaining seats and recommended which ones of those had the best view. Also let me return a ticket (one of my friend's kids couldn't go). Stellar customer service for a f'up on my part.

I have to say that I enjoyed this installment very much. I actually think it was the best since the original that came out in '77. I'm a huge SW fan. I stood in the lines, and saw it countless times. I got Darth Vader's autograph at Macy's in Valley Fair.  I dragged my grandmother to it when we went to visit her in Connecticut. Collected bubblegum trading cards, books, models, etc (none of that Kenner figure BS tho). I watched the Xmas special when it came out. I watched the Muppet show when each SW actor was a guest. I watched each follow-up installement and reissue deviate from a really fun film. 
I had high hopes, but I really didn't enjoy episode 7 much as it felt like they were just constantly throwing out call backs to all of the previous movies. 

Rogue One actually had a story and it actually fit in and led up (very well I might add) to Episode IV. They way they fit together reminded me a bit of the TROOPS short fan film:

Like the new robot a lot.

Critiques: 

A friend of mine pointed out the plot hinges on bad design decisions (eg: to do this, you have to throw that switch that's way over there in that stupid place).

I don't get why the guy from "The Night of" was wearing his chemistry goggles for the entire film. 

--tg

(01-02-2017, 06:58 PM)thatguy Wrote: I watched each follow-up installement and reissue deviate from a really fun film. 

I'm totally with Patton Oswald on George Lucas:

--tg
We saw it at Capitola too.  I love what they're doing with that theater.  Beer and wine?  Yes please.

Empire is still my fav.  Taun Taun igloo.  Imperial Walkers.  Yoda.  Father.  Carbon Freeze.  Most impressive.
Since I got to ponder this in my home while the dogs barked at the passing, I found the film much dumber. Why do we need to assassinate Galen? Isn't the Death Star already built? So, killing him will accomplish what?

Still waiting for the Donnie Yuen sequel or prequel or his stand alone movie.

Still pretty. Still lots of things going boom. 

Meh.

My liberal, bleeding-heart ass did not like this installment. It was (too) violent, (too) militaristic and less focused on non-combat oriiented character development. Looking back I see the violence inherent in the Star Wars universe, but for some reason my brain remembers the non-action parts. The robots meeting the Jawas and being sold, Luke meeting Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan scaring off the Tuskens, sneaking aboard the Death Star, escaping the trash compactor, etc.

It was not a military operation.

Whatever - the Rebellion got the plans.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I just rewatched it on Netflix. It's still an outlier, not quite up to snuff. I think I can see what Garett was going for - a bleaker vision when the Jedi are absent and there is only faith - or hope. But it lacks the humor that gives SW so much charm. K2 is droll not whiny like 3PO or cute like the beeping farting R2. The music only plays in with the cameos from the rest of the series which are the best scenes. The CG faces are still lifeless in the eyes. And no lightsaber fights.
It also has no wookie. Wookies are like vulcans in Star Trek - just gotta have one.