Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lionel Shriver speech
If you read The Guardian, you may be aware of the flap of Lionel Shriver's speech in Australia, and the melodramatic criticism of it published on that site.

There is a good article in Commentary about both which makes some great points that did not occur to me (maybe that's why I'm an artist not a writer).

I thought you writers might find it interesting.
the hands that guide me are invisible
It's so refreshing to read this.  The whole cultural appropriation movement is just fucking ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a backlash against this uber-sensitivity that got us our president-elect.  People were tired of being scolded and corrected and accused of being racist or whatever else.

One of Trump's most appealing traits was his reckless rhetoric on just about any subject, and the fact that he wouldn't apologize.  I took pleasure in some of it, which is surprising, considering what I think of the man as a whole.

Enough blather.  Need to get back to putting on blackface without smearing my burqa.
I'm nobody's pony.
If you want a background on the "intellectual" (really the on-campus) roots of contemporary identity politics, see Bruce Bawer's The Victims' Revolution about the history of ethnic, gay and women's studies. It was good, but I never reviewed it here because it depressed me and I figured no one else would want to read a depressing book.
the hands that guide me are invisible