Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Discovery
ST:E S4 two-parter Into the Mirror Darkly was one of the best ENT eps of all. They don’t even bother with the Federation universe and even the intro is mirror universe. It’s brutal and sexy (can T’Pol show any more midriff?) like the original Ep. And it reveals the Defiant post-Tholian web, which plays a key role in ST: DISCO (yea, that’s what their calling it). Might have to go back for the original now.

Your agonizer, please.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
So wait...will the Emperor be Hoshi?  

Haven't seen Sunday's ep yet.  Maybe tonight.
Woah. Well I’d say I was close but maybe that’s racist now.  But still, was that a sword? Srsly? Sweet!

I’m so addicted to this show. The rest of you will probably go ‘meh’ but what can I say but ‘peace & long life’
I found my combat cloth jacket with the mirror universe insignia, but some sort of dimensional shift shortened the sleeves and tightened it all around so it’s really unwearable by me, ‘cept for a well-framed instagram...maybe. Undecided
Hand it off to Tara?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
She's not a trekker.  We're a dying breed, like the horta.  She's only seen a few of the movies and some cherry-picked episodes.  She only likes the tribbles.  

I bet my jacket still fits in the mirror universe.  Or maybe it's that way now to show of my midriff?
Wear it with that tight shirt you got in China a few years back
the hands that guide me are invisible
It's been nearly a decade and a half since I've been in China.  Since then, my midriff has gone from a six pack to a mini-keg.   Yeah, my daze of tight clothes is long gone.  I'm still got some PTSD from all those years of knickers.  

Ba-dum-pum!
Thank you, thank you, and don't forget to tip your waitress.  They accept quatloos and latinum because the Federation doesn't use money.
That was a sword! Made no sense at all. Well, it is the symbol of the empire, so maybe it does. Whatev. It made me happy. Swords make me happy especially when wielded by that particular actor. 

Long live the empire.
Alright, I'm the only ST: DISCO fan here, once again the feckin DOOM token.  I know, I know, DISCO is only on CBS access so you gotta be a dedicated trekker, and the new show has some serious flaws, but all I can say now is...SWORDS!

Time to start dropping spoilers.

I'm not paying for another streaming service. I have to save my money so I can ride with El Rey.

so you got Star Trek and decades worth of NCIS? Good for you.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(01-26-2018, 10:00 AM)Greg Wrote: I'm not paying for another streaming service. I have to save my money so I can ride with El Rey.

Bon touche, mon ami.  I can NOT fault you for that.

I only really watch CBS Access for ST: DISCO, although the late night shows are available, as well as all the ST (including the animated series), and my other formative fav, Twilight Zone.  There's other stuff that I keep thinking I'll revisit, but I don't.
S1:E15 season finale. It came around in the end. Most all of the story arcs were resolved and medals were awarded, with wiggle room for S2, just like Star Wars. ST: DISCO is more space opera than most orb the other series, clinging to sci-fi metaphors by its telluite tusks, with ample Easter eggs for the sharp-eyed stalwart trekker (the fried ceti eel in the Klingon open market was a cute touch). It makes some big jumps from the franchise, some are reasonable updates, others are twists for today’s audience. About halfway thru it hits warp speed. Despite its dalliances, it returns to that federation philosophy with an almost Kirk-Ian speech. I enjoyed it but would only recommend it to dedicated trekkers, which DOOM is not clearly or others here would’ve watched. The season 2 tease was short but good. I hope it lives long and prospers.
A five year mission...

Quote:Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise
[Image: alex_kurtzman.jpg]
Alex Kurtzman

Matthew Simmons/FilmMagic

10:00 AM PDT 6/19/2018 by Lesley Goldberg 
Kurtzman recently took over as showrunner on CBS All Access' 'Star Trek: Discovery,' exec produces CBS' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'Scorpion' and 'Instinct,' and may live long and prosper with yet another show in the works.

Alex Kurtzman is staying in business with CBS Television Studios.

The exec producer behind CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery has renewed his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, signing a massive five-year extension with the studio behind the latest entry in the long-running sci-fi franchise. The new agreement keeps Kurtzman, whose deal was up this year, with the studio through 2023. Sources say the deal is estimated at $5 million per year as Kurtzman receives a sizable backend on his programming.
Under the new pact, Kurtzman will serve as the Star Trek: Discovery's lone showrunner after taking over from Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg, who were recently fired from the series. Kurtzman will also expand the Star Trek franchise for the small screen, developing new series, miniseries and other content, including animation. 

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.

“There is a very short list of writer-producer-directors that every film and television studio wants to be associated with, and Alex and his Secret Hideout team are always at the top,” said David Stapf, CBS Television Studios president. “His talent, taste and ability to shepherd a successful project is unparalleled. Alex has done remarkable work for our studio, dating back seven years to the launch of Hawaii Five-0, and we are thrilled that he, Heather [Kadin] and their team will be partnering with us for a long time to come.”

This marks Kurtzman's second solo deal with the studio after splitting from former producing partner Roberto Orci in 2016. Kurtzman and his Secret Hideout banner, led by president Heather Kadin and senior vp TV Aaron Baiers, also exec produced CBS' recently renewed Instinct, veteran procedural Hawaii Five-0 and Scorpion, which was canceled in May. Under Kurtzman's new deal, Secret Hideout will also continue to develop new projects for broadcast, cable and streaming platforms. The banner remains exclusive to CBS TV Studios. Secret Hideout will also expand its production hub, adding inclusive voices and cultivating new talent. Kurtzman is currently developing The Man Who Fell to Earth for Hulu with Jenny Lumet.

“Heather, Aaron and I are thrilled to continue Secret Hideout’s amazing partnership with CBS Television Studios,” Kurtzman said. “Since our first collaboration with Hawaii Five-0 almost a decade ago, Les [Moonves], David and the full team at CBS Studios have been our foremost collaborators and champions, treating each project with integrity, supporting the creative visions and working breathlessly to make each episode of every show the best it can be. CBS has also allowed us the great pleasure of reintroducing the world of Star Trek audiences new and old, and we are very excited to keep working alongside them to expand that world.”

Star Trek: Discovery, meanwhile, has proved to be a success for subscription platform CBS All Access even after two showrunner changes (Berg and Harberts took over for Bryan Fuller). In announcing its season two renewal, CBS All Access — which does not release viewership information — said Star Trek: Discovery helped drive subscriber growth to the new platform. Production on season two started in April, the series is expected to return in early 2019.

Kurtzman's decision to remain at his longtime home at CBS Television Studios comes as other showrunners have begun to survey their options after Netflix recently poached prolific producers Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Scandal) and Ryan Murphy (Glee, American Crime Story) with nine-figure overall deals. For his part, Greg Berlanti recently illustrated that you don't need to leave the broadcast studio system to score a nine-figure deal after he renewed his Warner Bros. TV pact for $400 million.

Kurtzman joins a roster of producers at CBS Television Studios that includes Jerry Bruckheimer, Peter Lenkov, Aline Brosh McKenna and Robert and Michelle King. The deal comes after veteran producers Eric and Kim Tannenbaum exited their CBS TV Studios deal for Lionsgate Television.
Kurtzman is repped by CAA and Gendler & Kelly.