Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson .Paak @ Fillmore 10/22/16
So I didn't know anything about this.  I did it because my supe at the 'mo didn't have any crew and is doing me a huge favor in a few weeks, hooking me up with passes for Tara and her friend.  

.Paak (and yes, the . is part of the name) is a backpack rapper that I read about on NPR. My Cruz JNK partner-in-crime was down for the ride, so we headed up and all went out to dinner at some Korean BBQ before the show. It was nice. Always nice to be back at the ‘mo.  This crew is my fav - Babs and company are hysterical with their SF acerbic wit. House manager Josh was filling the office with vintage commercial music just to harsh everyone’s buzz and our Doc Mary, a major Green Day fan who was in post-show glow from the Berkeley show (Rm got her in as she’s a massive fan and an MD) was singing along until we all had to make her stop. Then there was a torrent loud belches and the music shifted to the soundtrack to Stranger Things. There was great concern because some cockroaches appeared at the Mo and everyone was freaking out.  I luv working the 'mo just to hang out with the crew.  Everyone is a jaded wise ass there.  My kinda peeps.

.Paak was sold out and the crowd was young clean and cute. The scanners failed so the line took a long time to get in, but opening act was some singer that was slow and uninteresting - Lounge jazz crooning. But everyone was in by the tiemn .Paak hit the stage and he totally had that crowd. Nothing like hip hop when the artist has the crowd. They announced .Paak is nominated for 3 Grammys now.  He's okay. High energy. Dropped a reggae tune. 2 keys guitar bass and .Paak on mic & drums. He has a sound for sure - jazzy cool hip hop - I get it but am not sure he's the next big thing. Maybe. He's chill. Nice crowd. A lot of nice hats and long-nosed hipsters - pleasant well dressed and clean. Everyone has really well manicured eyebrows including the guys.  The merch booth was selling vinyl sooooooooo backpack rap. I hear why the Grammys like .Paak - he's a cool jazzy take on a pop hip hop sound - potentially very marketable. 

I hope he makes it so I can say 'I saw him @ mo.'
Shadow boxing the apocalypse