Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Yes, this came out dogs ages ago. I'm sure you have all read it. Since, I think everyone has read it. Except for well, me. It's also going to be a TV show soon, which is another reason for me to read.

It was fine. Maybe at the time, the theory of the old Gods still walking among us was fresh and new, but it seems done now. The book seem to meander a lot down lots of little alleys and byways.

All that being said, it was very well written. I did enjoy his writing style and use of language. Although it hasn't turned me so that I now need to run out and read all of his books. Although, I might have to read Stardust since I did enjoy that movie.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I thought it started really strong but ended a bit weak. I think the short story is his strong suit, although I did enjoy Ocean at the End of the Lane. Stardust was also enjoyable, although told in much more of a straight fairy tale style than I expected after seeing the movie. Smoke and Mirrors is a good short story collection, including a couple of funny Lovecraft parodies.

He edited (with Al Sarrantino) a good story collection - called Stories, appropriately enough - and his story in that is really good.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I enjoyed reading Coraline to the kids, but the movie was terrible (I saw it in 3D which was probably worse) even with the They Might Be Giants contribution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9gtzslraI

--tg
I enjoyed Coraline (the movie).  I think I saw it in 3D.

Not to sound to Scapino-esque, but the only Gaimen books I've read were picture books.   Blush
Shadow boxing the apocalypse