Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOOM Gathering for Late 2016
(01-03-2017, 05:18 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: So are you still planning to go?

And you never said where you moved to...

I just got 2 free passes by commenting in the Moe's Alley FB Post about the show, so I'll give it a whirl.

I moved to downtown Soquel, behind the Ugly Mug. (short-term lease). If you take Old SJ Rd to/from work, come on by for a tipple sometime.

--tg
(01-04-2017, 02:44 PM)thatguy Wrote: I just got 2 free passes by commenting in the Moe's Alley FB Post about the show, so I'll give it a whirl.

Cool.  Cheap date.  Wait...was that supposed to be me?  

(01-04-2017, 02:44 PM)thatguy Wrote: I moved to downtown Soquel, behind the Ugly Mug. (short-term lease). If you take Old SJ Rd to/from work, come on by for a tipple sometime.

Quaint area.  I might just do that...come by for the tipple, not take old SJ (don't care for that corridor).  But I have been meaning to explore that 'hood more.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Well I could be out as tg's cheap date at some reggae heads cover band, but I'm at the bungalow, recovering from an allergy attack, waiting for my wife to get off work so I can pick her up (2016 marked our transition to a 2 car, 3 driver family, so it's good she can walk to work because Cat and I can't but she prefers a ride home at night). I'm going to crash as soon as I get her home because I gotta get to work early tomorrow. Work is swamped and I've a bad feeling that it'll be like this until KFTC25.

Hope you made it to the show tg!
(01-04-2017, 09:09 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Well I could be out as tg's cheap date at some reggae heads cover band, but I'm at the bungalow, recovering from an allergy attack, waiting for my wife to get off work so I can pick her up (2016 marked our transition to a 2 car, 3 driver family, so it's good she can walk to work because Cat and I can't but she prefers a ride home at night). I'm going to crash as soon as I get her home because I gotta get to work early tomorrow. Work is swamped and I've a bad feeling that it'll be like this until KFTC25.

Hope you made it to the show tg!

I did make it to the show. Called up a friend that lives down the street from Moe's. It wasn't very crowded. Band had just started. Played several TH songs, but then played some of their own material, a Janis cover, Shakedown Street. Some TH songs didn't sound all that different from the original versions, but Slippery People and Houses in Motion are great no matter how you slice them. Pulled Up was a surprise. Worked really well as a reggae song. 

All in all, a fun show for the price. I was going to buy their CD since I got in free, but it has yet to be released as they are working out licensing issues...

--tg
Did they do Genius of Love?  Cuz that would seem like a natural.

Weird that we're seeing cover bands so far for 2017.  Surreal even.  Huh
Quote:January 5, 2017 3:56 p.m.
David Byrne Feels He’d Have to ‘Sacrifice Something’ for a Talking Heads Reunion to Happen
By Devon Ivie

[Image: 05-david-byrne.w529.h529.jpg]
Photo: Tom Hill/WireImage/Getty Images
The prospect of a full-fledged Talking Heads reunion has been slim to none for fans of the American rockers ever since the band permanently disbanded in 1991. Despite a short performance for lucky attendees at the quartet's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2002, as well as members Jerry Harrison, Chris Frantz, and Tina Weymouth voicing their keen interest in a reunion, front man David Byrne has refused and consistently voiced his general disdain. However, in a new interview with The Creative Independent, Byrne's stance has softened somewhat on the subject, and he chose to weigh the pros and cons of a potential reunion without the interviewer even bringing up the topic.
"For those contemplating doing a little bit of what I do, that kind of variety of things, I would say you need to be ever-vigilant. For example, a Talking Heads reunion might be incredibly successful for a specific generation, or maybe for many generations," he explained. "It would make me a lot of money and get a lot of attention. It would also probably be quite a number of steps backwards as far as being perceived as someone who does a lot of different things." Despite that relative ambiguity, Byrne ultimately still doesn't put on an optimistic front. "I feel like I have to sacrifice something, whether it's money or name recognition or whatever in order to be able to do a little bit more of what I'd want to do," he said. "In other words, you can't have it all." So a road to nowhere for now, unfortunately.