Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westworld
I took advantage of last weekends free HBO weekend to watch this show. I was fortunate to catch two episodes. I was unfortunate to only catch two episode, because now I have to wait for the season to be released on Netflix. Or, perish the thought, purchase HBO. But the whole weekend of free HBO proved they only had the one show I wanted. No, I'm still not watching Game of Thrones, but that's another thread.

My first thought was what happened to medieval and roman world? But that's minor.

I really liked this show. It's dark and creepy and full of paranoia. I think there a few call backs to the original movie, especially in this scene when they go down into the vaults and seem to be in the disused welcome area of the original movie. They also mention the tragedy from 30 years ago.

Everyone in the show is creepy and has some agenda that has yet to be revealed. It's a movie adaption of a group of people that have just grabbed the tiger's tail. It can't get to Netflix soon enough. And I still have the second episode to watch.

Yes, I loved the original. No, I'm not going back and watching the original to see how it's aged.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I saw first episode and really liked it, too. It is not going to end well.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
So, I watched the 2nd episode, not quite as good as the first one. They spent a lot of time on the rules of the world, but that was fine. All in all, enjoyable. They tried to trick me at the end, because my DVR wanted to know if I would like to see the next episode. Sure, yes, now, please. But then they wanted money. Bastards.

So the show is good. But one that keeps trickling through my mind. Sure, the guns don't fire if they are aimed at a human. What stops the knives from killing humans? Since, there is a lot of knife play, I want to know the safeguards for them. Same thing with arrows. I'm just saying.

That was my first thought with the arrows, too...They're probably really hi-tech.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...vq8u7L.jpg

--tg
Because of the the Queen's cellular plan, we now get free HBO. I don't know if it's good for a month or a year, but I took advantage of the open window to record all the Westworlds.

Wow, is it twisty. Wow, is there a lot going on. And yes it all ties together. I did call out one secret that I thought was going to happen which amazed the Queen, but other than that it went in a lot of unexpected places.

Lots of awkward nudity. When the hosts, as the androids are called, come in for repairs, they just sit around with all their parts hanging out, men and women. The titilation factor rapidly goes away as you realize how vulnerable the hosts are.

I did spend a lot of thought on making the whole world work and be logical but it failed under too much scrutiny.

The caveats. Now, the show, at it's heart, ponders the question what is consciousness. It's a lot of the same territory that Jonathan Nolan, the producer, covered in his TV show, Person of Interest. So, the hosts are constantly struggling with this question as they limp towards awareness. Fine. So, you have scenes were it is just hosts talking to each other with no humans around. Why would they do that? They are just machines. No reason to talk and give out story lines if no humans are there to interact with, right? Yes, they are characters in a TV show but in the reality of this world, it doesn't make a lot sense. There is a huge room where they are monitored. Wouldn't the humans who monitor the hosts see this aberrant behavior and switch it off? Especially in light of what happened 30 years ago.

Also one character disappears in the second to the last episode and it is never explained. He just gets attacked and is gone. And he was the guy in charge of security. You would think him being missing would send up a red flag.

But I pushed those thoughts aside as the show ramped up to a great finale. I hope I still have HBO when it returns.

I'm thinking I should watch this now. Daniel Wu is in the next season. It's at S4, 36 eps.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(01-17-2022, 12:04 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I'm thinking I should watch this now. Daniel Wu is in the next season. It's at S4, 36 eps.

Yea, I gotta start binging this next. Gaslit is done and Obi-wan is almost done. This next (unless some screeners come through - there’s a big one pending)
Watched e1. That was good. I love the spin on the original and Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins truly elevate this. So many nekkid bots. I like how it’s going and will watch more but I also found a short YouTube vid that claims to share all the major plot points, so I may just bail on the next 35 eps and just watch that.
Good plan. First season was good. Bailed after that.

Mid season 4...still looks cool, but the writing is getting worse and worse. The post episode "reflection/recap" piece doesn't help. 

When the creator says "You know what's better then one Aaron Paul? A lot of Aaron Pauls!" You know your in for trouble...to bad you already watched it. 

--tg
And that's a wrap. The writing continued its downward trajectory. Very infantile, but you could tell they were very proud of themselves. Christina's self revelation process was drudgery. Hale's character transition wasn't believable. Also, when she removes her own pearl, how does she keep moving? All this is a tear down/setup for Season 5. 

They could have done so much more, but I think they painted themselves into a corner. The recap segment at the end talked about how much prep they had to do because of the effects and I think it locked them into being inflexible. The whole thing is very stiff...almost robotic

--tg
https://gizmodo.com/westworld-has-been-c...1849745181

Quote:
Quote:Westworld Has Been Canceled by HBO

[/url]The chopping block at the new regime has axed the sci-fi series after its fourth season.
[img=375x0]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,pg_1,q_80,w_800/fc07d9568eeb578fe61dd3cc8e556b35.jpg[/img]

Jonathan Nolan and [url=https://gizmodo.com/prime-video-the-peripheral-westworld-william-gibson-1849664476]Lisa Joy
’s Westworld has not made the cut to stick around in the new hierarchy of power over at Warner Bros. The acclaimed HBO sci-fi series has been canceled after its fourth season, according to the Hollywood Reporter

Nolan had hoped to wrap up his television mystery box’s story in at least one more season, telling THR, “We always planned for a fifth and final season. We very much hope to make them.” Joy added when they were still in negotiations to get one more renewal, “Jonah and I have always had an ending in mind that we hope to reach. We have not quite reached it yet. Just to close up a lot of the stuff that we’ve seen before like the flashforward with the Man in Black and everything, so we have a plan for season fivebut you know, life can make other plans for you. So we’ll just hope for the best”

Season four ended with a strong cliffhanger that could be seen as a classic “you decide where it goes from there” turning point. Whatever Nolan and Joy had planned, we will now unfortunately never get to see.

Westworld seasons 1-4 are available to watch on HBO and streaming on HBO Max.

I would say that they could only go up from where they left it, but I know that's not true...

--tg
They made it up to season 4? Wow.

I went on a 10-day vacation to San Jose del Cabo. Low-key...mostly hanging out on a beach. We stayed at the Hyatt Place at the end of the hotel row. It was not the highest quality, but we used points for the entire stay, so it was acceptable as a base, but we really spent most of our time at the fancy resorts down the street. One of them, was called Viceroy. It had a rectangular white wall of a building separating it from the street. Then, beyond that, it had six "box" buildings laid out in a "V" facing the beach. They were all identical...white, unadorned boxes of "cubby hole" units. They looked very Bauhaus. The grounds were not grounds, but pools within pools. There were sweeping boardwalks that would meander over the pools as well as down into them. There were subterranean levels that went down to the spa area and all the way to the beach. It turns out it was the location used for the "Hosts" in Season 4. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bGdo4JA1E&t=53s

--tg