Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey DM, ED!
http://www.sunsetcenter.org/e-an_evening...ss_328.htm

Quote:An Evening of Music with Laurie Anderson and Philip Glass

[Image: 680x270x328.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4qThniBRK0.jpg]
Friday, September 23, 2016, 8:00 pm
Presented by Philip Glass Days and Nights Festival

An Evening of Music with Laurie Anderson and Philip Glass will entail a unique musical collaboration between two giants of the avant-garde of the past 50 years. Thus far, this show has taken place only twice before: in Italy, and at the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville, TN.

Anderson is one of America's most renowned and daring creative pioneers. Her work, which encompasses music, visual art, poetry, film, and photography has challenged and delighted audiences around the world for more than 30 years. She is best known for her multimedia presentations and musical recordings. Anderson's first album, O Superman, launched her recording career in 1980, rising to number two on the British pop charts and subsequently appearing on her landmark release Big Science. She went on to record six more albums with Warner Brothers.

There has been nothing "minimalist" about Philip Glass' output. In the past 25 years, Glass has composed more than twenty operas, large and small; eight symphonies (with others already on the way); two piano concertos and concertos for violin, piano, timpani, and saxophone quartet and orchestra; soundtracks to films ranging from new scores for the stylized classics of Jean Cocteau to Errol Morris's documentary about former defense secretary Robert McNamara; string quartets; and a growing body of work for solo piano and organ. He has collaborated with Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Yo-Yo Ma, and Doris Lessing, among many others. He presents lectures, workshops, and solo keyboard performances around the world, and continues to appear regularly with the Philip Glass Ensemble.

Ticket holders, please join us early when Glass will hold a pre-show conversation with Jonathan Rose, a visionary in urban development and renewal, who champions the role of cities in addressing the environmental, economic, and social challenges of the twenty-first century. Glass and Rose will discuss Rose's new book A Well Tempered City. The lecture will begin at 6:15 PM in the theater.

Tickets: Level I $85 / Level II $65 / Economy $45

--tg
I'm booked.  Otherwise, I'd totally hook up with Laurie again.  She asked me to help her out on her next book.  srsly.  

[Image: 3100_KFM-201556-06TaiChi.jpg]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I'll be in Las Vegas for "Life is Beautiful".

I'm pretty sure if they find out both DM and I have previous commitments they will reschedule.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
(09-05-2016, 01:42 PM)El Dingo Wrote: I'll be in Las Vegas for "Life is Beautiful".

I'm pretty sure if they find out both DM and I have previous commitments they will reschedule.

Tru dat brah
Just for the record, I have renewed my correspondence with Ms. Anderson in the wake of this thread (thx tg! almost forgot, believe it or not) 

Her book project hasn't moved forward unfortunately, but I got her to laugh (or at least, email a reply that says 'HA!') telling her that the wildfire smoke has made for some good sunsets.  Sadly, she cannot postpone the show for us, ED.  It's because of Glass.  He don't care.
If you work out a private concert, let me know.

--tg

PS: We can use my house as a venue. It's very rural/pastoral. It would be a great setting (if I can get the neighbors across the creek to stop riding the cycle for a bit).
She's actually very charming in person, an extremely keen listener with a wicked sense of humor.  It was really trippy to talk to her because her voice is so iconic to me, very measured and exact with her speech.  Did you ever see Heart of a Dog?  http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3554.  I remember thinking that if I saw it after my dog passed, it would break my heart again, but be very purgative.
"Mr. Heartbreak" is on permanent rotation in my music library. Every song is soothing and draws you into a meditative state. "Sharkey's Day", "Excellent Birds" just take over your conciousness and transport you elsewhere. In my Tower days I would play "United States Live" from start to finish, no one ever complained. "Everyone wants to be #1, but no one wants to be #0".

I saw Phillip Glass do a live performance of "Beauty and the Beast" and it was pretty awesome, but I never wanted to meet him.

So I think it's set, DM's close friendship with Laurie Anderson will result in a nice breakfast with me and her discussing how pop music can combine with art to touch a common chord in the general populace.
(09-07-2016, 06:19 PM)El Dingo Wrote: "Mr. Heartbreak" is on permanent rotation in my music library. Every song is soothing and draws you into a meditative state. "Sharkey's Day", "Excellent Birds" just take over your conciousness and transport you elsewhere. In my Tower days I would play "United States Live" from start to finish, no one ever complained. "Everyone wants to be #1, but no one wants to be #0".

I saw Phillip Glass do a live performance of "Beauty and the Beast" and it was pretty awesome, but I never wanted to meet him.

So I think it's set, DM's close friendship with Laurie Anderson will result in a nice breakfast with me and her discussing how pop music can combine with art to touch a common chord in the general populace.

I always liked this one from "Home of the Brave". The visuals with the giant drum sticks and the rubber neck guitar were great. I don't think it's on any album other than later anthologies:

Quote:Tuesday:

dreamt that I learned how to smoke in my sleep

--tg
Right before Tower went under I scored a used CD set of United States for a ridiculously low price, I think mis-marked. It always makes me think of you, DM. And Andrian Belew always makes me think of you, TG.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I only have Laurie's stuff on vinyl, which means I haven't listened to it in ages.  Several of Tara's friends have turntables and she keeps asking me to dig out my old turntable.  I should, just to see if it still works.  Then I should make her listen to United States.
I can give you the digital files if you want.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Vinyl is stupid. Give it to me and I will dispose of it properly.
Quote:Last weekend, Philip Glass and Laurie Anderson crushed it. Here's why.
[Image: 57ead90ae4e79.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C800]
  • Bas Uterwijk

[url=https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.montereycountyweekly.com%2Fblogs%2Farts_culture_blog%2Flast-weekend-philip-glass-and-laurie-anderson-crushed-it-here%2Farticle_0b33fdb6-84f0-11e6-b58c-db90edd4df1b.html%3Futm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dfacebook%26utm_campaign%3Duser-share][/url]

Last Friday, when I had to park nine blocks away from Carmel's Sunset Center where Philip Glass and Laurie Anderson were about to give a rare full-length concert, it seemed like it was going to be an event. And it was. They enthralled a packed-to-the-rafters audience with a show of artful music, poetry, film and sounds, uninterrupted by intermission, solo and collaborative work. They played along to film projections of a unicorn standing in the rain, they played on each other's songs, they played to recorded poems by Allen Ginsberg and Lou Reed. Anderson told the backstory (involving Greek playwright Aristophanes' The Birds) of her installation with Mohammed el Gharani called Habeas Corpus, about Guantanamo and incarceration. Glass read poetry. They earned four curtain calls by an appreciative audience that stood and practically cheered.
Before that concert, Glass spoke with the Weekly about Laurie and this year's abridged Days and Nights Festival, earning the National Medal of Arts from President Barack Obama's administration, and why he's returned to Monterey County year after year since 2011.

Weekly: Where are you now?

Philip Glass: I’m in New York. We’re having a long talk about the election. This is not the way to start your day, talking about this damned election.

How did you arrive at this concert that you and Laurie Anderson are going to do on Friday?  

We’ve known each other 40 years. Truly. When she first came to New York, I was one of the first people she met. I’ve known her through all the changes. I saw her become a performance artist, and rise to the top of that list. Over the years we began to do things together, benefit concerts and fundraisers. We’d go do something for 5-10 minutes, without any agenda. For this year’s festival I originally wanted to show her movie [Heart of a Dog]. We had planned to do five concerts at [Henry Miller Library]. But everything got changed with the fire. We [decided we] wanted to do concert. We didn’t want to miss the year. Luckily we got a night at Sunset Center.

How are you feeling about being awarded a National Medal of Arts?

It’s interesting because this is the grown-up award. The MacArthur award, they take young people, throw spaghetti on the wall, and see what sticks. With this one, it’s what stuck. I’m going to be 80 years old. Wynton Marsalis is getting it. Mel Brooks. These are the grown-ups. I guess that includes me. When I think about it, I hadn’t thought of myself in terms of my generation, but when I saw my name, I thought “I guess that’s where I am.” I really wanted to go to the White House with this president. He puts the medal on you. Michelle Obama will be there. In my lifetime I never expected to be invited to the White House to get a medal [considering] what I work on, who I work with, where I started. I’m glad I’m on this year because it’s Obama’s year.

You changed your schedule so that you could speak at CSU Monterey Bay, fly to D.C. to get your medal, then come back and play Sunset Center. Why are the students here, and this place, so important to you?

I should get a medal from the airlines. We have a relationship with the school. Cultivating younger audiences is not easy but it’s important. This is, historically, a place where artists and painters and writers have lived. It’s a beautiful place. I was invited to go and play at the [Henry Miller Library]. I had been [to Big Sur] before, on a motorcycle [in the ‘60s] looking for Henry Miller. I didn’t know he had moved to Pacific Palisades. As a kid in the ‘50s, you couldn't’ read Henry Miller [because he was banned]. There’s a history here and I would like to be part of it. There are young people and they are coming to our performance. The school is important. We need to cultivate our [young people].

With me at Symbiosis and ED at Life is Beautiful, those are fair excuses, right tg?  

At least it gave me an excuse to reach out to Laurie.