Remakes, come-backs, and spin-offs
Quote:Michael Peña and Dax Shepard Ride in Style on the CHiPs Poster
CHIPSDAX SHEPARD MICHAEL PENA MOVIE NEWS
BY SILAS LESNICK 
ON JANUARY 11, 2017

image: http://cdn2-www.comingsoon.net/assets/up...Bar640.jpg
[Image: CHipsBar640.jpg]
The CHiPs poster offers a first look at the upcoming comedy actioner

In CHiPs, Jon Baker (Dax Shepard) and Frank “Ponch” Poncherello (Michael Peña) have just joined the California Highway Patrol (CHP) in Los Angeles but for very different reasons. Baker is a beaten up pro motorbiker trying to put his life and marriage back together. Poncherello is a cocky undercover Federal agent investigating a multi-million dollar heist that may be an inside job—inside the CHP. The inexperienced rookie and hardened pro are teamed together, but clash more than click, so kickstarting a partnership is easier said than done. But with Baker’s bike skills combined with Ponch’s street savvy it might just work… if they don’t drive each other crazy along the way.
The CHiPs cast also includes Rosa Salazar (The Maze Runner: The Scorch TrialsAlita Battle Angel), Adam Brody (The O.C.Yoga Hosers), Kristen Bell (Veronica MarsThe Good Place), and Vincent D’Onofrio (Emerald CityMarvel’s Daredevil). Dax Shepard also serves as director on the comedy, which opens in theaters on March 24.
RELATED: WB 2017 Schedule Shift Delays King Arthur, Moves Up CHiPs
What do you think of the CHiPs poster design? Are you planning to check this one out on the big screen in March? Let us know in the comments below!
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
We can talk about this now. I actually knew about this weeks ago because Daniel and I were swapping emails. 'Cuz he's cool like that. With me. Oh yeah.

Quote:‘Tomb Raider’ Reboot Adds ‘Into the Badlands’ Star Daniel Wu (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter
@krolljvar

[Image: daniel-wu-tomb-raider.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1]
MEDIAPUNCH/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
JANUARY 11, 2017 | 11:34AM PT

Daniel Wu is set to join the reboot of WB/MGM/GK Films’ “Tomb Raider,” the latest adaptation of the popular video game, starring Alicia Vikander as the iconic character Lara Croft.

Warner Bros. recently announced the movie — from Norwegian director Roar Uthaug — will be released on March 16, 2018.

Wu will play Lu Ren, a ship captain who partners with Croft on a quest to find her father.

MGM joined the project in 2013, acquiring rights to the video game to develop the feature in partnership with Graham King’s GK Films. King, who obtained “Tomb Raider” in 2011 from Square Enix, will serve as producer.

Cassidy Lange is overseeing production for MGM and Niija Kuykendall is handling production for Warner Bros.

The original “Tomb Raider” video game was released in 1996 by London-based Eidos Interactive, which is now part of Square Enix. Square Enix released a reboot in 2013 with a younger, 21-year-old Croft being sent off on her first big adventure amid amped-up action and set pieces.

Paramount’s two films starring Angelina Jolie as the British archaeologist were released in 2001 and 2003, and grossed a combined $431 million worldwide.

Warner Bros. will co-produce the pic with MGM and GK Films.

Wu is the star of the martial arts series “Into the Badlands,” which returns to AMC for its second season this spring. He is repped by CAA, Leverage Management, and attorney P.J. Shapiro.
Quote:‘Black-ish’ Creator and Blake Griffin to Remake ‘White Men Can’t Jump’
Carolina Panthers’ Ryan Kalil will produce the remake of the 1990s sports comedy
Jeremy Fuster, provided by
[Image: rawImage.jpg]

Published 12:05 pm, Tuesday, January 17, 2017

IMAGE 1 OF 5
White Men Can't Jump (1992)

“Black-ish” creator Kenya Barris will develop a movie remake of the 1990s sports comedy “White Men Can’t Jump,” which will be produced by Los Angeles Clippers star [url=http://www.thewrap.com/tag/blake-griffin/]Blake Griffin
 and Carolina Panthers All-Pro lineman Ryan Kalil.
Released in 1992, “White Men Can’t Jump” stars Woody Harrelson as Billy Hoyle, a former college basketball star who wins bets against streetballers who think they can beat him because he’s white. His hustling strategy changes when he runs into Sidney (Wesley Snipes), another baller who tricks Billy out of a huge chunk of cash. After some prodding from their significant others, Sidney and Billy form a partnership that slowly grows into a friendship as they enter 2-on-2 tournaments for big bucks.
RELATED STORIE

Barris will write the screenplay for the remake and produce the film with Griffin, Kalil, and Noah Weinstein, all of whom are producing through their company, Mortal Media. Griffin and Kalil are also slated to produce Disney’s reboot of the 1991 cult film “The Rocketeer,” which will feature a black female lead and is currently in early development.

Along with his Emmy-winning work on “Black-ish,” Barris recently wrote and produced the sequel “Barbershop: The Next Cut,” and is attached to the female-driven comedy “Girl Trip,” which will be released by Universal on July 21.
Barris is repped by CAA, Principato Young, and Morris Yorn. Griffin and Kalil are repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham.

Between Blackish, Fresh off the boat, the Goldbergs and Speechless, ABC has become the tokenism network.
Quote:Tim Story to Direct ‘Shaft’ Reboot

“Black-ish” creator Kenya Barris is writing remake of 1971 cult classic
Matt Pressberg | January 20, 2017 @ 9:43 AM
[img=359x0]http://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Tim-Story.jpg[/img]
Getty Images

“Ride Along” director Tim Story will helm New Line’s upcoming “Shaft” reboot, TheWrap has learned.
The film is being produced by John Davis, Ira Napoliello and “Black-ish” creator Kenya Barris, who wrote the script with Alex Barnow.
Story broke out with 2002’s “Barbershop,” starring Ice Cube, Cedric the Entertainer and Anthony Anderson. He is best known for directing the “Ride Along” and “Think Like a Man” franchises, and also dipped into the Marvel Universe, helming the 2007 Fox superhero film “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.” His most recent project was stand-up comedy concert film “Kevin Hart: What Now?” which made $23.6 million at the domestic box office.

Also Read:

[url=http://www.thewrap.com/shaft-reboot-in-the-works-at-new-line-with-predator-producer-exclusive/][/url]
Quote:[/url]

Scarface Remake Starring Leonardo DiCaprio And Sofia Vergara Announced for 2017
[img=625x0]https://empireherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Scarface-Remake-Starring-Leonardo-DiCaprio-And-Sofia-Vergara-Announced-for-2017.jpg[/img]
Universal Studios, one of the largest movie studios in Hollywood has announced that 32 years after it’s release, the legendary crime-drama film, Scarface, is getting a remake starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Sofia Vergara.
The 1983 story of Tony Montana, Cuban immigrant turned powerful drug lord, has come to be one of the most iconic films of the 80’s and you’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t recognize the movie’s most famous line, delivered by cocaine-covered, gun-touting Montana: “Say hello to my little friend”.
In the press release, Universal Studios revealed that they had been planning a remake since 2002, but that they had not been able to find anyone who they thought could live up to Al Pacino’s august performance in the original. This is what Brian De Palma, the director of the 1983 film, had to say:

“You know when you got a film as successful and as influential as Scarface, there’s this unspoken rule in Hollywood that you’ve got to make a remake and relaunch the story for a new generation. I am not ashamed of this, it’s what we do in Hollywood and it’s a great opportunity to create a new exciting version. This project has been on the drawing board for almost 15 years and I was just about to give up on it until 2013 when I saw The Wolf of Wallstreet in the cinemas and saw Leonardo DiCaprio’s energy and fire, I knew I wanted him to be Tony Montana. Two years later, we are well into production and are expecting a 2017 release. Working with DiCaprio is a blessing and he is really nailing his role. It must be the Italian blood. As so far as casting Sofia Vergara as Gina, Montana’s sister will be just as epic. Combining these two actors will ensure the successful relaunch of Scarface.”
MUST READ:  Cam Newton Breaks Both Legs In Car Accident Caused By Angry Broncos Fan

The film will have the same plot and storyline of the original, but the scenes that will be used to tell the story however, will be mostly new and completely rewritten. The story has already been made into a movie twice before, but will now be set in Los Angeles and has screenwriter Jonathan Herman and director Pablo Larraín attached.
MUST READ:  VMAs add fan-voted Song of the Summer contest with 12 nominees
[url=https://empireherald.com/vmas-add-fan-voted-song-of-the-summer-contest-with-12-nominees/]
“As much as some of my guys just want to do Scarface scene by scene with the same script out of laziness, there is no way I’m venturing out on this journey without really refreshing the film and its story. For example, this remake is not set in the 1980’s but in the mid 2000’s and obviously there are going to be differences because of the era. I think both fans of Scarface and those who are new to the story will love what we are doing here,” said Larrain.
Further news on this movie can be expected closer to the release date, but in the meantime, you can discuss the upcoming blockbuster under the hashtag #ScarfaceRemake
SCROLL DOWN AND CLICK NEXT TO CONTINUE READING
Quote:Danny McBride and David Gordon Green are rebooting 'Halloween'

Danny McBride and filmmaker David Gordon Green (Pineapple Express, Our Brand is Crisis) have been hired to reboot John Carpenter’s classic 1978 horror film Halloween. The pair are longtime collaborators, with Green directing many episodes of the McBride-starring HBO sitcom Eastbound & Down, on which they both served as executive producers. Green will direct the new Halloween, from a script written by Green and McBride. The film will be released Oct. 19, 2018. As previously announced, Carpenter will executive produce with Malek Akkad producing for Trancas and Jason Blum producing for Blumhouse. Zanne Devine and David Thwaites will oversee for Miramax, which is co-financing with Blumhouse.
The news about McBride and Green’s involvement was announced by Carpenter on Thursday on his Facebook page.
“So you say you want a Revolution?” wrote the legendary director, whose other credits include The Thing and Escape From New York. “You want to shake things up and bring back Halloween and make it rock again? Well so do I. So here’s the announcement you’ve all been waiting for: David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are joining the project to complete the creative team. David and Danny will write the script together and David will direct. I will continue in my executive producer role to consult and offer my advice and feedback as needed. David and Danny both came to my office recently with Jason Blum and shared their vision for the new movie and…WOW. They get it. I think you’re gonna dig it. They blew me away. I might even do the music. Maybe. It could be kind of cool. And you’ll get to see it in theaters on Oct. 19, 2018.”
“John Carpenter’s Halloween was a monumental horror film experience for me and millions of film fans,” said Green in a statement. “It’s an honor to be working with this creative team to carve a new path in the tale of Michael Myers.”
“David and I are thrilled to step outside of our comedic collaborations and dive into a dark and vicious horror,” said McBride. “Nobody will be laughing.”
“It’s been a long journey with many starts and stops, but I can honestly say that I’ve never been more excited than by the team that we have assembled for the new Halloween,” said Akkad. “I truly feel this film will thrill fans, old and new, as well as being a high point in this legendary franchise.”
While McBride and Green are best known for comedic projects, they are not complete strangers to the horror genre. Green was at one time attached to direct the remake of Dario Argento’s Suspiria while McBride will soon be seen in Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel, Alien: Covenant, which will be released May 19.
Visit ew.com
Time After Time as an ABC series?

--tg
Quote:'Lion King' Remake Casts Donald Glover as Simba, James Earl Jones as Mufasao

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Moet & Chandon; Walter McBride/WireImage
Jon Favreau announced the news.
Donald Glover is going to be king.
The star has been cast in Disney's remake of The Lion King as Simba.* *Director Jon Favreau announced the news on Twitter with a picture of Glover he captioned, "I just can’t wait to be king. #Simba." 
Favreau also announced James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa, the beloved father character he played in the 1994 animated original. 
Favreau met Glover at The Hollywood Reporter's creativity conversation in December. Favreau’s son is also fan of Glover’s music, which he performs under the name Childish Gambino.
Jeff Nathanson, a Steven Spielberg favorite, is writing the take on the animated classic, which is considered one of the pinnacles of Disney’s animated movies. In the original, Jonathan Taylor Thomas voiced young Simba, while Matthew Broderick voiced the adult version of the character.
I just can’t wait to be king. #Simba pic.twitter.com/wUYKixMBJI
— Jon Favreau (@Jon_Favreau) February 18, 2017
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en">
Looking forward to working with this legend. #Mufasa pic.twitter.com/1LszbWrcYT
— Jon Favreau (@Jon_Favreau) February 18, 2017
More to come...
Read more: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Donald Glover, Issa Rae and Damien Chazelle in One Epic Conversation
Quote:MARCH 14, 20176:13pm PT by Borys Kit, Kim Masters, Rebecca Ford 
'The Matrix' Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
[img=355x0]http://cdn5.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2017/03/matrix_1999_49-h_2017.jpg[/img]
Warner Bros./Photofest

'The Matrix' (1999)

The 1999 sci-fi movie is coming back.

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrixthe iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go. 

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.
Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silver's reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Written and directed by the Wachowskis, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.
The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warner Bros. didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received, but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.
While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.
While some at Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.
The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.
Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.
Penn is repped by UTA.
Quote:
Escape From New York remake gets Robert Rodriguez to direct
20th Century Fox has tapped Robert Rodriguez to direct a remake of Escape from New York...
[Image: escape_from_new_york_remake_robert_rodri...k=2CHNxMbh]
NEWSDavid Crow
Mar 27, 2017
OMMENTS

Beloved 1980s cult classics are continuing to reappear in the 21st century landscape. Some of these recent reboots turn out to be long-unexpected sequels or spinoffs. These are your Terminator: Genisyses, your Predators, and your Alien and Thing prequels. But it appears that another John Carpenter classic, Escape From New York, is now getting the full-on remake treatment (having sat around in development for many years) since Robert Rodriguez has been tapped to direct the picture.
Deadline broke the news late Friday evening that Escape From New York is moving ahead at 20th Century Fox, which after a long-bidding war for the property is now set to produce it.
This also is tellingly a vote of confidence in Rodriguez at the studio since he is also making an upcoming tentpole for the studio, the James Cameron-scripted Alita: Battle Angel, which is based on Yukito Kishiro’s graphic novel of the same name and stars Rosa Salazar, Mahershala Ali, Michelle Rodriguez, Eiza González, Jennifer Connelly, Christoph Waltz, Ed Skrein, and Jackie Earle Haley.
Obviously, there are no details yet on what an Escape remake would look like, but the John Carpenter original is, of course, an influential cult classic that starred Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken. In that 1981 film, the story picks up in the dystopian future (of 1997!) where the current U.S. president’s Air Force One crashes onto Manhattan Island - now a forgotten and decayed urban sprawl that is reserved for only the most undesirable of convicts. A maximum security wasteland. Snake, a convict who has escaped it before, is sent back into hell to rescue the president.
So then: do they think they can even dare make this without a Russell cameo? And just who will step into his shoes? Answers as we get them...
This will be dumb with cgi and without the thin white duke.

Quote:Fede Alvarez will co-write the script and direct. 
Fede Alvarez, the filmmaker behind last year's sleeper hit Don't Breathe, is tackling a sequel to Labyrinth, the 1986 Jim Henson movie that starred David Bowie, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Alvarez will write the script with Jay Basu and direct the project, which is set up at Tri-Star. Lisa Henson of The Jim Henson Company will produce.
Alvarez and Basu are developing Girl in the Spider's Web, the sequel to Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and will tackle the Labyrinth project after that.
Labyrinth tells of a teenager, originally played by Jennifer Connelly in one of her first roles, who has to navigate a fantastical maze in order to save her young brother, who has been kidnapped by a goblin king (Bowie). It was the last film directed by Henson and was executive produced by George Lucas and written by Monty Python member Terry Jones.
Insiders stress that the new project is not a remake nor a reboot but rather a continuation of the story set in the rich Henson universe. The goblin king will not be represented in the film.
Nicole Brown is overseeing for Tri-Star.
Quote:MAY 08, 2017 6:00pm PT by Borys Kit
'Hellboy' Reboot in the Works With 'Stranger Things' Star David Harbour
[Image: horizontal_split_1296_730_preta.jpg]
Left, courtesy of Dark Horse Books; Right, Getty Images

'Hellboy'; David Harbour

Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment.
Hellboy, the demonic comic book hero turned Guillermo del Toro film franchise, is poised to return to the big screen, this time without the filmmaker at the helm.
Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment that would reboot and relaunch the property. Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment is also producing.
Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is attached to direct the project, which has a working title of Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.
Del Toro is not involved, nor is Ron Perlman, the actor who inhabited the red-skinned, cigar-chomping devil in the two previous installments.
Rather, David Harbour, the Stranger Things star, is in talks to play Hellboy.

If a deal is made, Millennium would become the third company to make a Hellboy movie in as many releases.
Hellboy was created in 1993 by Mignola and became an indie comic hit as it told of a demon, raised by a professor, working to fight supernatural evildoers for an organization called Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.
Del Toro co-wrote and directed the first adaptation, which was made by Revolution Studios and released by Sony in 2004. The movie made $60 million domestically (another $40 million internationally, asterisked by the fact that this was the era before international box-office dominated performance) on a budget of $66 million.
The second movie was made by Universal with the same team — del Toro and Perlman — but its box-office mojo was cut short when The Dark Knight, directed by Christopher Nolan and featuring Heath Ledger as the Joker, opened six days later.
But both movies engendered strong cult followings and there were rumblings of a third installment. Last year, del Toro, Dark Horse Entertainment, Levin and Gordon, the latter of whom controls the rights, explored their options. However, the budget was a stumbling block, with del Toro wanting a bigger canvas for his vision. In the end, the producers decided a reboot and relaunch was the more feasible route.
Marshall is now developing a new script with Aron Coleite, who worked on NBC's Heroes and is also working on the new Star Trek: Discovery series. He will also act as a producer with his partner Marc Helwig.
Updated May 8, 2017, 11:40 PM to add that a new script is being worked on.

Honestly, I wasn't that into the originals.  And I like del Toro and Perlman.  I'm not sure why they didn't work for me.  It was like they took the Star Wars Cantina scene and made a whole movie out of it.
I liked both of them, but the second one was even more visually stunning. Perlman is Hellboy, though, so I don't see this working.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Quote:‘Cannonball Run’ Revving: Rawson Thurber In Talks To Direct, Lennon & Garant To Write Script
[img=61x0]https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/mfleming.png?w=56&h=76&crop=1[/img]
by Mike Fleming Jr

June 12, 2017 1:16pm

[/url]

[Image: cannonball-run-cast.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1]

Fox

EXCLUSIVE: [url=http://deadline.com/tag/warner-bros/]Warner Bros
 is negotiating with Thomas Lennon & Robert Ben Garant to write and Rawson Thurber to direct a relaunch of the Cannonball Run franchise. Andre Morgan and Alan Gasmer (Vikings) are producing. Studio set this up last year, originally intending for Etan Cohen to both write and direct. Lennon & Garant wrote the Night At The Museum franchise. Thurber helmed Dodgeball and Central Intelligence and will next team with Dwayne Johnson in Skyscraper for Legendary and Universal.

This isn’t a remake as much as a relaunch of a film based on the famous “Cannonball sea to shining sea memorial trophy race” that was captured in three Hal Needham-directed films that starred Burt Reynolds, Frank Sinatra, Roger Moore, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr and Dom DeLuise atop a whole ensemble of ’80s stars. They played roles in the re-enactment of an illegal cross-country race where the participants were not above playing dirty tricks on one another.

The new version is being spearheaded by producer Morgan, who has been making movies at Warner Bros since Enter The Dragon in 1973 (that film also was backed by Golden Harvest, which orchestrated the Cannonball Run films). Warner Bros acquired all sequel and remake rights to the franchise from original copyright owners Brock Yates, the Hal Needham Estate and Fortune Star LTD. Albert S. Ruddy and Raymond Chow are the exec producers.
The first film was released by Fox in 1981; Warner Bros released the 1984 sequel; and Orion released the 1989 third film, which starred John Candy, Donna Dixon, Eugene Levy and Brooke Shields. The original films and the legend of the original races on which they were based have generated international interested; people are still running their own time-lapse races to beat the records established in the original five races.
UTA and Principato-Young rep the writers; WME and Gretchen Rush rep Thurber.
FTW!!!!!

Quote:'Tremors' (1990) (Courtesy of Photofest)
Jason Blum will exec produce the drama with Andrew Miller on board to serve as showrunner for the reboot of the 1990 film.
Syfy is rebooting Tremors (again).
The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has handed out a pilot order for a TV adaptation of the 1990 film starring Kevin Bacon. The drama, which is produced by Universal Cable Productions, counts Jason Blum and showrunner Andrew Miller among its creative team. In addition to starring, Bacon will also executive produce alongside David Schiff (Southpaw) and Blumhouse Television.
The film centered on a repairman (Bacon) and his friend who uncover several mysterious deaths in their small desert town of Perfection, Nev., only to discover a group of giant, worm-like monsters who eat human flesh below the surface. The group must then fight to stay alive. Miller (The Secret Circle) will pen the script for the revival, which picks up 25 years after the events of the film and finds Valentine McKee (Bacon) attempting to save the town again — but this time, also battling age, alcohol and a delusional hero complex.
The horror film, which was produced by Universal Pictures, grossed $16 million at the box office before it became a cult classic on home video and spawned four sequels. Syfy (then Sci-Fi) first attempted a TV remake in 2003; however, Tremors: The Series was canceled after one 13-episode season. A second TV adaptation was announced in late 2015 but failed to land a network at the time.
Read more: Kevin Bacon to Star in 'Tremors' TV Reboot From Jason Blum
The official news comes a day after Bacon, in an interview Sunday at the Edinburgh International Film Festival, discussed returning to the character when he revealed that the reboot had landed at Syfy.
“This is the only character I've played that I've ever thought about revisiting. I just got to thinking, where would this guy end up after 25 years?” Bacon said Monday in a Syfy release announcing the pilot pickup. "Andrew Miller has a fantastic take on it and we hope to create a show that will be fun and scary for fans of the movie and folks that have yet to discover it. Let's kick some Graboid ass!”
Read more: Kevin Bacon Talks 'Six Degrees' Game, 'I Love Dick,' and "Not Being "F—able" | Comedy Actor Roundtable
A potential Tremors reboot comes in the midst of a branding refresh for Syfy, which is timed to the network's 25th anniversary. As part of that refresh, the network is hoping to double down on original programming, with such upcoming projects as the Superman prequel series Krypton and Happy!, an adaptation of the famed Grant Morrison graphic novel, both of which recently earned series pickups.
"We are doubling down and embracing this core [fanboy] audience. With Syfy as a name, we want to own the genre," Chris McCumber, president of entertainment networks at NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, told The Hollywood Reporter in May. "We have to create a home and universe for fans to come and celebrate the genre they love. That's why we're opening this up and building the network around those passionate fans. We are the only TV network whose only mission is to live and breathe science fiction 24/7."
A Tremors reboot would mark Bacon's second series, joining his Amazon dark comedy I Love Dick.
For Blum, the Tremors remake is one of several scripted series he is executive producing. He is also working with Syfy (as well as sibling channel USA Network) on a TV adaptation of the Purge horror films, as well as on the Amy Adams drama Sharp Objects for HBO and a miniseries centered on former Fox News chief Roger Ailes, which is set for Showtime.
Read more: Superman Prequel 'Krypton,' Grant Morrison's 'Happy' Score Syfy Series Pickups
"We are so pleased to continue our partnership with Syfy and UCP in reviving this cult classic with none other than Kevin Bacon as Valentine McKee; we look forward to thrilling original fans and new audiences alike," said Blum.
The Tremors reboot is Syfy's third pilot in contention and joins George R.R. Martin's Nightflyers as well as The Machine.