Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remakes, come-backs, and spin-offs
(06-13-2018, 06:16 AM)Greg Wrote: I'm sure the world needs this. I'm just not sure what world.

Beat me to the punch.  I just came here, just to post this.

As much as I luv Devito, the original Pink Elephants on Parade is the most psychedelic scenes ever (and you know I know my psychedelic scenes).  If it can live up to that, I'm so in.

Lest we forget...

For the DOOM brothers that have never done acid, this comes really close, except the trip lasts like 8 hours (although the heavy duty trippin hallucinations are only an hour or so - feels like forever tho).
Good tip.

There is a hint of your pink elephants in the trailer. I think. Maybe not. It's all so fluid at this point....
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(06-13-2018, 08:01 AM)Greg Wrote: There is a hint of your pink elephants in the trailer. I think. Maybe not. It's all so fluid at this point....

Yes, I noticed that.  But then, I was watching for it. 

The whole premise of Dumbo never made a lick of sense to me, except for that scene.  It's all about that scene.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
This actually kinda works for me.  I hope Die Antwoord is in it.  

Quote:Neill Blomkamp To Direct New ‘RoboCop’ For MGM; Justin Rhodes Rewriting Sequel Script By Creators Ed Neumeier & Michael Miner
[img=61x0]https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/mfleming.png?w=56&h=76&crop=1[/img]
by Mike Fleming Jr

July 11, 2018 10:05am

[Image: neill-blomkamp-robocop.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1]REX/Shutterstock

EXCLUSIVEMGM is developing a new installment of RoboCop and has set District 9 director Neill Blomkamp to helm the picture, which is titled RoboCop Returns. The studio hopes to revive a franchise that began with the Paul Verhoeven-directed satirical sci-fi action thriller that Orion released in 1987. Original writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner are producing and exec producing, respectively. Justin Rhodes, who co-wrote the Terminator film that Tim Miller is shooting, will rewrite the script that Neumeier and Miner wrote years ago as a planned sequel to Verhoeven’s hit, an installment that never happened. That duo is creatively involved in moving forward their creation for the first time since the original.
The original starred Peter Weller as a badly wounded cop on death’s doorstep who is turned into a cyborg law enforcement officer tasked with wiping out crime in an out of control Detroit, but who is plagued by submerged memories of his previous married life. MGM revived the concept with a Jose Padilha-directed version that starred Joe Kinnaman in 2014. That film didn’t do so well domestically, but grossed $240 million worldwide and was particularly strong in China. MGM exec veep Adam Rosenberg is overseeing the new one for the studio.
The plot: anarchy reigns and the fate of Detroit hangs in the balance as RoboCop makes his triumphant return to fight crime and corruption.
[Image: robocop.jpg?w=301&h=159&crop=1]
MGM

The original film was a formative touchstone for Blomkamp, whose District 9grossed $210 million worldwide, got four Oscar nominations and who followed with several science fiction films that carried a polemical message under the surface, including Elysium and Chappie. He has spent the last few years building Oats Studios in Vancouver, where has been producing short form content he has written, directed and self-financed. Blomkamp jumped at the chance to do a RoboCop that harkens back to and picks up the story line from the original film. His own films have highlighted themes like immigration, exclusion and the haves and have nots, and while RoboCop — made in the Reagan era and focused on corporate greed — a different part of the original story has become most important to him.
“The original definitely had a massive effect on me as a kid,” Blomkamp told Deadline. “I loved it then and it remains a classic in the end of 20th Century sci-fi catalog, with real meaning under the surface. Hopefully that is something we can get closer to in making of a sequel. That is my goal here. What I connected to as a kid has evolved over time. At first, the consumerism, materialism and Reaganomics, that ’80s theme of America on steroids, came through most strongly. But As I’ve gotten older, the part that really resonated with me is identity, and the search for identity. As long as the human component is there, a good story can work in any time period, it’s not locked into a specific place in history. What’s so cool about RoboCop is that like good Westerns, sci-fi films and dramas, the human connection is really important to a story well told. What draws me now is someone searching for their lost identity, taken away at the hands of people who are benefiting from it, and seeing his memory jogged by events. That is most captivating. The other thing I am excited by is the chance to work again with Justin Rhodes. He has added elements that are pretty awesome, to a sequel that was set in the world of Verhoeven. This is a movie I would love to watch.”

Why wasn’t this sequel story told years ago?
Neumeier and Miner sold the original as a spec script and Orion’s Mike Medavoy, emboldened by the success of Platoon, got heavily behind it. Neumeier and Miner got paid a paltry sum upfront, but eight points of producer profits fattened their wallets. The inspiration was classic Westerns with leading man of few words, namely John Wayne in The Searchers and Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry. “There were four or five things RoboCop couldn’t do, including no talking on the phone, no kissing the girl, and he couldn’t fly and would be limited to four or five signature phrases,” Miner recalled. “Ed and I became zen like in writing that dialogue, which had to be like sharp spears that punch you, in dialogue form. We would labor a whole day over one line. When you recall the way Ethan (Wayne) spike in The Searchers, or Clint in Dirty Harry, they were like zen poems in an action culture.”
The original grossed over $50 million and got three Oscar noms including a win for Best Sound Effects Editing. Despite this, and even though Neumeier and Miner had written a worthy followup in the spirit of the original, their sequel didn’t happen for several reasons.
“Verhoeven felt at the time that making one would be de classe and he wasn’t interested in the politics of a sequel, “Neumeier told Deadline. “Then, the writers strike came along in 1988 and we were force majeured off the project. They brought in Frank Miller on a waiver. He wrote a draft and then another with Walon Green, and it got made by Irvin Kershner, who directed The Empire Strikes Back. I went off and did Startship Troopers with Paul.”
It came back around when he got a call from MGM president Jon Glickman, tasked with creating franchise material for that studio. “Right when Trump was about to be elected president he called me and said, ‘Did you actually predict in your sequel script that a reality star would run for president and win?’ We had. So Mike and I wrote a draft and gave one interview in Barbados and I think the only person who read it was Neill Blomkamp, and that set this in motion.”
Blomkamp is represented by WME; Rhodes is WME and Madhouse; Neumeier and Miner are APA.
Quote:‘Downton Abbey’ Movie Gets Greenlight; Original Cast Returns For Summer Start
[Image: ntartaglione.png?w=56&h=76&crop=1]
by Nancy Tartaglione

July 13, 2018 5:40am

EXCLUSIVE: It’s official, the Downton Abbey movie is a go. Focus Features has set production with Carnival Films to begin this summer for a return to all things Crawley. The original principal cast, including Maggie Smith, Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville and more, are set to reprise their upstairs/downstairs roles with Focus and Universal Pictures International distributing.[Image: downton-abbey-maggie-smith.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1]
Creator Julian Fellowes has written the film’s screenplay and will produce alongside Gareth Neame and Liz Trubridge. Brian Percival (The Book Thief), who directed the series’ pilot, will helm the film. Nigel Marchant will also return to executive produce.
The game-changing Downton Abbey followed the lives of the Crawley family and the servants who worked for them for six seasons on the UK’s ITV and PBS’ Masterpiecein the U.S., garnering a massive worldwide following and helping to kick-off the so-called new golden age of television while making period drama chic again — we also learned terms like “entail” and, famously, mused “what is a weekend?” The series won three Golden Globe Awards, 15 Primetime Emmys (out of 69 nominations in total) and a special BAFTA. Downton is the most nominated non-U.S. television show in the history of the Emmys.
Story details are being kept under wraps for now. The drama had its fair share of sad season conclusions from the outbreak of World War I to Matthew’s death by car crash. But turns of events as the post-Edwardian clan rang in 1926 in the 2015 series finale kept things cheerful with Edith marrying — and outranking her entire family; Mary expecting her second child; Anna and Bates welcoming their first; Tom and Henry christening their fancy new car dealership; Robert accepting Cora’s role outside the house; Isobel and Lord Merton in wedded bliss; and more blossoming romance for the downstairs crew: Mrs Patmore & Mr Mason, Daisy & Andy, Baxter & Molesely… Also notable and emotional was the resolution of Thomas’ arc from footman-you-love-to-hate, to tortured soul, and finally a place of honor on the Grantham estate — which even a somewhat humbled Carson couldn’t argue.
Not every recurring character we’ve seen over the years will feature in the film, although Highclere Castle will return as the family’s hub.
Gareth Neame, Carnival’s Executive Chairman and the film’s producer said, “When the television series drew to a close it was our dream to bring the millions of global fans a movie and now, after getting many stars aligned, we are shortly to go into production. Julian’s script charms, thrills and entertains and in Brian Percival’s hands we aim to deliver everything that one would hope for as Downton comes to the big screen.”
Focus chairman Peter Kujawski adds, “Since the series ended, fans of Downton have long been waiting for the Crawley family’s next chapter. We’re thrilled to join this incredible group of filmmakers, actors and craftspeople, led by Julian Fellowes and Gareth Neame, in bringing back the world of Downton to the big screen.”
The Downton Abbey movie is a Carnival Films production, with Focus Features and Universal Pictures International distributing. A release date has yet to be announced.

Yay?

(07-13-2018, 02:42 PM)Greg Wrote: Yay?

I wanna see the Downton/Robocop mash up.  With a sword fight.  Between Saiorse & Margot.  Yeah, man, that'd be dope.
Quote:She-Ra: Release Date & First Look at Netflix Reboot
Dreamworks is bringing She-Ra back to life on Netflix in 2018!
[Image: she-ra-netflix.png?itok=2uch2hDV]
NEWSShamus Kelley
Jul 16, 2018

As part of an announcment of several new animated series coming to Netflix, DreamWorks dropped that an updated She-Ra will debut in 2018! Executive produced by Noelle Stevenson (LumberjanesNimona), the series will be an updated version of the '80s She-Ra: Princess of Powerwhich was a spin off of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
She-Ra Release Date
The updated She-Ra: Princesses of Power will arrive November 16th on Netflix! We've also got some new sneak peak images that show off the updated forms of several characters, including Bow, Glimmer, and Catra!
[Image: she-ra-netflix-glimmer-bow-adora.jpg?itok=yOgmc8c5]
[Image: she-ra-netflix-catra-adora.jpg?itok=fb5O3Qft]
[Image: she-ra-netflix-bright-moon.jpg?itok=CssKSEQB]
[Image: she-ra-netflix.jpg?itok=qJU9E29X]
Below we've got the official description directly from DreamWorks. 

Quote:She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the story of an orphan named Adora, who leaves behind her former life in the evil Horde when she discovers a magic sword that transforms her into the mythical warrior princess She-Ra. Along the way, she finds a new family in the Rebellion as she unites a group of magical princesses in the ultimate fight against evil.

You want a poster for the series? We've got it!

[Image: she-ra-netflix-teaser-poster.jpg?itok=yw6GPBvU]
Something to note is the title of the series isn't just She-Ra, as we originally thought, or even the original She-Ra: Princess of Power. It's now She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, hinting at more of a team based show. 
She-Ra and the Princesesses of Power Cast
The cast list boasts a ton of big (and diverse!) names which are all below and we've got a photo of some of the cast with executive producer Noelle Stevenson.
[Image: she-ra-netflix-cast.jpg?itok=7kJgOh07]
Aimee Carrero (Elena of Avalor) as Adora/She-Ra
Jordan Fisher (Grease Live!) as Seahawk
Marcus Scribner (black-ish) as Bow
Lorraine Toussaint (Orange Is the New Black) as Shadow Weaver
Sandra Oh (Grey's Anatomy) as Castaspella
Karen Fukuhara (Suicide Squad) as Glimmer
AJ Michalka (The Goldbergs) as Catra
Reshma Shetty (Royal Pains) as Angella
Keston John (The Good Place) as Hordak
Lauren Ash (Superstore) as Scorpia
Christine Woods (Hello Ladies) as Entrapta
Genesis Rodriguez (Time After Time) as Perfuma
Vella Lovell (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) as Mermista
Merit Leighton (Katie and Alexa) as Frosta
Krystal Joy Brown (Motown: The Musical) as Netossa
We also have the originald description from the first press release that talks a bit more about the making of the seires.

Quote:"From Eisner Award-winning author and executive producer Noelle Stevenson (LumberjanesNimona) comes a modern take on the ‘80s girl power icon for a new generation of young fans. The trailblazing property originally debuted in 1985 to satisfy overwhelming demand for a female lead fantasy series. With Stevenson's unique voice at the helm, fans are in store for an epic and timely tale that celebrates female friendship and empowerment, lead by a warrior princess tailor made for today. The series will be available to Netflix members worldwide in 2018."

We've also got some strong evidence that Kari Kimmel (who performed The Fosters theme) will be singing the new She-Ra theme. In a post on her website she has this in her bio.

Quote:"Kari most recently landed her 16th theme song for the upcoming Dreamworks remake of a very popular 80s show which will be premiering in the fall of 2018." 

We've seen the shows DreamWorks announced for 2018 and She-Ra is the only '80s reboot show premiering in 2018. We're excited to hear what this new take will sound like.
A storyboard artist on the series, Mickey Quinn was posting about her love of the series and seemed to indicate She-Ra villain Hordak might be appearing in the series.
If you're worried about the quality of the new series, He-Man super fan (and writer of He-Man reference books) James Eatock has seen the series bible and loves it. In a furthur post on a He-Man message board he elaborated.

Quote:1) The writer(s) of the series bible clearly have a LOVE/appreciation of the original Filmation show...or at least have done a LOT of wonderful research and taken some of the best aspects of the original series
2) The story arc is truly EPIC
3) This show thankfully does NOT feature awful smart-ass snarky dialogue
4) The characters are VERY well defined; some FAR stronger than their original Filmation counterparts
As someone that LOVES the Filmation show, I am VERY much looking forward to this new series - I honestly believe they're onto a winner!

Netflix and DreamWorks have had some amazing successes with its other action adventure series including Voltron Legendary Defender and Trollhunters so adding She-Ra to that? We're ready. 
It's interesting that they aren't having a He-Man series to go along with this but She-Ra has been criminally underserved since the '80s so it's great she'll get the spotlight. Stevenson's past work proves she's got the talent to work on this series (she's also done amazing work on DuckTales).
The fan-bros on the inter webs are raising a stink that her boobs aren't big enough.

Quote:JULY 20, 2018 4:15pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Inclusive Reboot in the Works With Joss Whedon
[Image: buffy_the_vampire_slayer__and_inset_of_m...h_2018.jpg]
Photofest; Getty Images
Sarah Michelle Gellar in 'Buffy'; Monica Owusu-Breen (inset)  
Producers 20th Century Fox Television has hired Monica Owusu-Breen to pen the script for the new take on Joss Whedon's cult favorite. A network is not yet attached.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting the reboot treatment.
20th Century Fox Television, who produced the original Joss Whedon drama, has offered a new take on the beloved Sarah Michelle Gellar drama in development. Writer Monica Owusu-Breen, who worked with Whedon on ABC's Agents of SHIELD, has been hired to pen the adaptation and serve as showrunner on the reboot.
Whedon will be an exec producer on the series and has been working with Owusu-Breen on the script, which features a black actress stepping into the role of Buffy made famous by Gellar. 
Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui (who produced Whedon's original Buffy film that inspired the TV series) will also serve as exec producers on the potential series. A network is not yet attached for the new Buffy, talks for which began last fall.
Producers Fox 21 TV Studios will pitch the Buffy re-do to streaming and cable outlets later this summer in a package bound to ignite a bidding war. It's unclear if Whedon will have any additional role on the new Buffydue to his other commitments, which include HBO's recent straight-to-series order The Nevers.
Talks for a new Buffy began last fall. A decision to move forward was determined after Owusu-Breen was identified as the best writer for the reboot. A script or director has not yet been determined.
Casting for the central role of Buffy has also not yet been determined. The new version, sources say, will be contemporary and build on the mythology of the original. Like today's world, the new Buffy will be richly diverse, with some aspects of the series, like the flagship, seen as metaphors for issues facing society today.  
Buffy the Vampire Slayer ran for seven seasons on The WB Network (which evolved to become The CW) and UPN. The series continued in comic book form after completing its run in 2003. Buffy was based on the feature film of the same name that starred Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry that was originally penned by Whedon.
The cult-favorite series became a breakout and helped turn Whedon into a household name, while also launching the careers of the series' stars (including David Boreanaz and Alyson Hannigan) and writers (including Jane Espenson and Marti Noxon). Buffy ranks as one of the greatest TV series of all time and has been hailed for the way in which Whedon and the writers challenged gender norms and portrayed Buffy as a feminist hero.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter in March 2017, pegged to the show's 20th anniversary, Whedon said he wouldn't rule out a Buffy reboot or reunion but also expressed his "fear" at the idea. "I see a little bit of what I call monkey's paw in these reboots. You bring something back, and even if it's exactly as good as it was, the experience can't be. You've already experienced it, and part of what was great was going through it for the first time. You have to meet expectations and adjust it for the climate, which is not easy. Luckily most of my actors still look wonderful, but I'm not worried about them being creaky. I'm more worried about me being creaky as a storyteller. You don't want that feeling that you should have left before the encore."
The decision to reboot Buffy comes a few months after Fox and 20th TV chairman and CEO Gary Newman hinted that the title could soon find itself in the studio's development pipeline. "[Buffy] is probably our most ripe show for a remake. It's something we talk about frequently," he said in March, noting that the choice to do so ultimately was up to Whedon.
For her part, Owusu-Breen recently created and showran NBC's Midnight, Texas. She left the series after season one. Her credits include Revolution,Fringe, Brothers & Sisters, Alias, Lost and Charmed. She's repped by WME.
The Buffy reboot and HBO drama mark a return to television for Whedon, whose credits include Buffy spinoff Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse. The once-beloved showrunner has been criticized more recently after allegations of abuse and cheating from his ex-wife. Whedon is repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham.
Reboots and spinoffs continue to be in demand as broadcast, streaming and cable outlets alike look for proven IP in a bid to both monetize libraries and cut through a cluttered scripted landscape that features more than 500 scripted originals this year alone. For its part, 20th TV has revived 24 and Prison Break, among others, in recent years. The Buffyreboot is part of a larger effort by Fox 21 to expand its slate to streaming and cable.
In Mowgli news.

Mowgli has been bought by Netflix from Warner Bros. and they are going to stream it rather than release it in October as planned.

Warner Brothers Wrote:In a pretty unprecedented move, Andy Serkis' directorial debut, Mowgli, was snatched up by Netflix, just as it was about to receive a theatrical release from Warner Brothers this fall, writes The Hollywood Reporter.

Based on Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, the movie is the second mo-capped adaption of the classic work in the last two years. The first was Jon Favreau's The Jungle Book for Disney, which opened to critical acclaim and box office success in 2016. It also took home the Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

Serkis' version, on the other hand, is a much darker, more faithful spin of Kipling's stories and won't contain any catchy musical numbers. Even without "Bare Necessities," you can marvel at the incredible cast, which includes: Christian Bale (Bagheera), Cate Blanchett (Kaa), Benedict Cumberbatch (Shere Khan), Naomie Harris (Nisha), Andy Serkis (Baloo), Peter Mullan (Akela), Eddie Marsan (Vihaan), Jack Reynor (Brother Wolf), and Tom Hollander (Tabaqui).

The human actors are: Rohan Chand (Mowgli), Matthew Rhys (John Lockwood), and Freida Pinto (Messua).

While no explicit reason was given for the last-minute acquisition, it could be that Warner got nervous about trying to compete with the existing live-action movie from Disney. It's a logical fear, especially when you consider that The Jungle Book made more than $960 million at the worldwide box office.

The studio even had to change the project's title last winter when it became clear that it would be impossible to avoid comparison between the two. This is sadly how it goes, a real shame since Serkis' film looks like a very solid piece of cinema. As the king of motion capture technology, he knows how to bring these animals to vivid life.

Originally scheduled for a theatrical release this October, Mowgli will now stream on Netflix at an unspecified date in 2019. Meanwhile, Disney's already working on a Jungle Book sequel with Jon Favreau back at the helm.

Quote:AUGUST 01, 201812:40pm PT by Lesley Goldberg, Jennifer Konerman 

'ALF' TV Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros.
The reboot will likely focus on ALF returning to Earth, with a new family and characters.

ALF is returning to Earth.
A reboot of the 1980s sitcom ALF is now in the works at Warner Bros. The reboot of the series, starring the friendly alien ALF (Alien Life Form) who lands in the home of a middle-class family, would reportedly focus on ALF returning to Earth, with a new family and characters. Original writers Tom Patchett and Paul Fusco are attached, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.
The original series ran for four seasons on NBC. The character was performed by puppeteer Fusco, with Max Wright, Anne Schedeen, Andrea Elson and Benji Gregory rounding out the cast. 
No network is attached as of yet, and sources stress that the reboot is in very early development. 
The project has been in the works since May. Additional details were not immediately available. 
Reboots continue to be in high demand as cable, broadcast and streamers look for proven hits in a crowded landscape expected to top 520 originals this year. Key to the reboots is having the original producers involved, which ALF has in Warner Bros. TV, which originally distributed the comedy.
In 2015, NBC bosses told reporters that the reboot craze wouldn't be too excessive, with Bob Greenblatt speaking about a possible Coach reboot, and even quipping, "And if that works, Alf: The Series is next."
Quote:FEBRUARY 05, 2019 8:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg
'Bewitched' Reboot From Kenya Barris Rolled at ABC
[img=677x0]https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2018/09/splash_barriss1-_splash_thr_2018.jpg[/img]
Photographed by Sami Drasin

Kenya Barris

The interracial take was the last project the 'Black-ish' creator had set up at the network before he departed for Netflix.
Kenya Barris' adventures at ABC continue.
The Black-ish creator, who successfully negotiated an early exit from his longtime home at ABC Studios, has seen his interracial take on Bewitched rolled for next season at the Disney-owned broadcaster.
The reboot of the 1964-1972 ABC comedy was the last project Barris sold to ABC. The single-camera comedy about a blended family — a hardworking black single mother who happens to be a witch and winds up marrying a white mortal slacker — had a sizable pilot-production commitment. The project will now be rolled into ABC's development for consideration for the 2020-21 broadcast season. Sources say the network is high on the project and wants to take its time and get the script right.
Barris co-wrote the script alongside Black-ish writer-producer Yamara Taylor. The comedy is a co-production between ABC Studios — Barris' former home — and Sony Pictures TV, the latter of which owns the rights to Bewitched. The project falls under Barris' now Netflix-based Khalabo Ink Society banner, which is overseen by former ABC head of comedy Jamila Hunter. Sony-based Davis Entertainment's John Davis and John Fox (Blacklist) also exec produce alongside Taylor.
This is the latest hiccup for Sony's attempts to revive Bewitched. The studio previously tried three times (at ABC, NBC and CBS) in the past decade to bring new life into the former Elizabeth Montgomery comedy. The title was rebooted as a feature in 2005 with Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell, which bombed at the box office.
For Barris, Bewitched is his latest (mis)adventure at ABC, for which he developed numerous pilots after breaking out with Peabody winner Black-ish. Of the scores of pilots he had picked up, only one — Black-ish spinoff Grown-ish — went forward and that was at ABC's younger-skewing corporate sibling, Freeform. Bewitched is Barris' first pass from new ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke, who under Freeform president Tom Ascheim picked up Grown-ish and Barris' Besties before being promoted to replace Channing Dungey at the broadcast network.
This season, ABC has already ordered five comedy pilots — half as many as last year — as sources note the network is expected to reduce its overall orders.
Just stop.

Write new things.

Dare.

[Image: Hr0x.gif]