Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Male Oppression (A Rant)
OK - So the title is a little misleading, but that's how you get the media to pay attention.

I just got back from a solo camping trip in Butano State park (about 20 mi. south of Pacifica).

Dee Dee had used up her vacation time at various family events and I was up for some campfire + comics + whiskey relaxation.

I had carefully chosen my campsite as one away from other sites and the bathroom. Unfortunately the online map was wrong. My site was directly across the road from the bathroom and near several other sites. It was here I fully realized an adult male doing anything by himself was suspect.

I got weird looks from the summer-vacation kids and parents as I tried to kick back and catch up on pirated Batman comics on my tablet.

I smoked my cigars and pipe at my picnic table as the non-stop train of campers made there way to the bathroom, casting uncomfortable glances my way. It sucked.

The first time I experienced this stigma was seeing "Toy Story" when it opened. A friend was the Asst. Mgr. at the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland so I checked out a matinee. I was the only single adult male in the auditorium and got lots of weird stares, because "Toy Story" was only for children. It was borderline humiliating.

Anyway - I realize now, thanks to Catholic priests and the internet, single adult white males are to be regarded with suspicion around children.

It's weird that (to me) non-white males don't have this stigma. Society doesn't percieve a black or Mexican dude as a possible child molester. Mugger and murderer sure, but not a serial killer who would snatch a kid.

Anyway - when I left I gave my remaining water bottles to the family nearest me but felt the apprehension as I walked into their campsite.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Been in uncomfortable situations like that.

I find that one thing that helps is to bring along a hand puppet and engage it in conversation (requires some ventriloquist training, but well worth the investment).  That way you don't stand out as being alone.

One detail, though.  Be sure to pour two whiskeys; otherwise, some people just won't suspend disbelief.

P.S.: Practice your speaking/drinking at every opportunity.
I'm nobody's pony.