Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HWY17
Ah. Perhaps I should pay more attention.

Two in one day?!
the hands that guide me are invisible
Didn’t see this one coming…

Quote:Man intentionally drove Tesla over Devil’s Slide cliff, CHP says. He will face attempted murder charges
Joel Umanzor  Jan. 3, 2023 | Updated: Jan. 3, 2023 5:05 p.m.

The driver of a Tesla that went over a San Mateo County cliff Monday wasarrested Tuesday on charges of attempted murder after California Highway Patrol investigators say he intentionally drove the vehicle — which contained another adult and two children — over the edge.

Dharmesh Arvind Patel, 40, of Pasadena, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and child abuse, according to CHP. He is  being treated for injuries at Stanford Hospital and will be booked into San Mateo County jail upon his release from the hospital.
Firefighters and paramedics initially responded to reports of the crash around 10:50 a.m. on Monday and found two children, ages 7 and 4, and two adults trapped in the vehicle that went over the road’s edge while traveling south on Highway 1 near the Tom Lantos Tunnels. Witnesses told Cal Fire the car simply veered off the highway and over the dirt shoulder before it plummeted.
The car fell 250 to 300 feet down the cliff, CHP said.
All four people were alive and conscious during the rescue, were able to be extricated and were transported to local hospitals. The current condition of the children and the other passenger — a 41-year-old woman — were not immediately known on Tuesday afternoon.
Anyone who saw the crash is encouraged to contact San Francisco CHP investigators at (415) 557-1094.
Joel Umanzor (he/him) is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: joel.umanzor@sfchronicle.com
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
No bueno.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(01-03-2023, 09:19 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Didn’t see this one coming…

Quote:Man intentionally drove Tesla over Devil’s Slide cliff, CHP says. He will face attempted murder charges

So now we enter the topsy-turvy playground of needing Tesla's autonomous driving feature to override a human driver.
I'm nobody's pony.
(01-04-2023, 11:30 AM)cranefly Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 09:19 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Didn’t see this one coming…

So now we enter the topsy-turvy playground of needing Tesla's autonomous driving feature to override a human driver.

Cars against humanity
--tg
Made it over. I think I experienced every form of rain on the way. Sun, fog, torrential downpour, rainbow...I adjusted my windsheild speed as much as my brake and accelerator. 

Drivers were cautious and it wasn't too bad. SB is down to one lane north of summit. I hope I can go home tomorrow. I must say - the road workers are awesome. So many piles of branches and earth, pushed aside to keep the road clear. Most of the potholes were handled. Great work for what must be a miserable dangerous job.

101 was a different matter. So many potholes. 

Drive carefully Bay Area D00Mers.
Some whacko on FB had the temerity to call out the CalTrans workers. Said they were causing the avalanches to get more work.

CalTrans are my heroes. When I came over, I saw a dude stationed at the ready in a tractor parked all alone in a turnout in the pouring rain and thought 'ya know, my job ain't so bad...'
hwy17 is closed

due to snow

w

t

F?!?!?
Whoopsy. Only rain here. But up the hill it must be dumping snow. I'd be afeared to be in Yosemite Valley.

Also there was a tree down on the Northbound side this morning: CalTrans Alert Map
the hands that guide me are invisible
On the one Caltrans CC camera that isn't unavailable on the summit, there is plenty of snow on the side of the roads but the road itself is clear. Unless it's frozen.....

I ran the gauntlet to svale & back just now. Wow. I’ve never seen snow that low. There were patch’s just north of Scott’s valley and south of Lexington. 

The ride over was smooth. Summit was troublesome because there were a lot of tourists playing in the snow leaving their cars at odd angles to throw snowballs. Heavy mist.

Coming back was more exciting. Wheel to the storm and fly. It was t raining too hard, just steadily at summit and there was lightning.
(01-03-2024, 03:19 PM)thatguy Wrote: FYI: lane closure on NB CA-17 tomorrow and Friday for tree removal

https://x.com/chpscrz/status/17426618230...94ZZRfaXAg