Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portland
Went to Portland for my nephew's wedding. We left two days early to look around. We didn't rent a car, so we did all our exploring on foot.

Our hotel was the Benson, and it's kind of on the edge downtown, and very close to the seedy part of town, but if you go away from the seediness you wind up in the Pearl District, which is nice. There did seem to be a lot of young homeless people on drugs though.

The Portland Art Museum was pretty good, but half the collection is contemporary and most of that is not good. They did have some good early and mid 20th century American work, and a nice but small gallery of Northwest Coast art (Tlingit etc.) that was really good. I think the highlights were a Barbara Hepworth sculpture and Tlingit painted house panels and masks.

Powells was enjoyable, but not the Holy Grail of bookstores that I was hoping for. They only had one of the things that I hoped to find. Actually I think the scale of the store made it hard to remember the titles I wanted to look for! Great for browsing though. I did find their used book prices a bit higher than here.

We ate at a couple of good restaurants, particularly Kenny & Jukes Delicatessen (with good turkey pastrami), and Andina (Peruvian-based) which was where the rehearsal dinner was held. The sweet potato fries at Deschutes Brewery were great - big pieces with the skin, soft inside and crispy outside. Plus Fresh Pot Coffee was a block from the hotel and was great.

Nice town for walking.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I love Portland. Spent a lot of time there with Haggis Killer in the late 90's and early Aughts. Good food/coffee/bookstores, clean, easy to get around, very pretty.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
i luv portland too.  but it's too wet.  

i'm told there have been issues with demographic changes in the wake of portlandia.  that's what a longtime friend and portland resident tells me.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse