Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record Store Day 04/16/2016
I drove to  1234..Go! Records in Oakland at 6:30AM for Record Store Day.

The line had about 25 people so I parked myself and read 'Y The Last Man' on my Sony tablet while drinking coffee from my Sci-Fi channel travel mug.

The line grew, wrapping around the block as the 8 AM store open time drew near.

At 8 AM the doors opened and the first few shoppers were ushered in. 1234..Go is pretty small so I waited about 40 minutes until I was allowed inside as 1 patron left.

I picked up Jethro Tull's "Too Old to Rock and Roll", Iron Maiden's "Empire of the Clouds" 12" picture disk, and a few other tidbits.

I received a gift bag with Led Zeppelin stickers, Metallica guitar picks, a 123..Go! turntable slipmat, lah-goo-knit-ahs t-Shirt and Weezer stuff.

Later I looked on E-Bay and realized the stuff I didn't get (because I wasn't interested) is like gold.

Long live vinyl!
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Back around 2000 weren't you going digital and getting rid of all your vinyl?

I remember that when I got rid of the last of my records I got less than a dollar a piece for them. (Had I kept them fifteen years they would have been much more valuable!) Learning from that I decided to go all digital and get rid of all the CDs before they became worthless. I did keep some of Christina's rare vinyl, but have no idea if any of it is actually valuable.

I still go to Streetlight and Rasputin's to get CDs though. It is much cheaper than buying things on iTunes and a lot of stuff I want is not available there anyway.

I do really miss the big album artwork. And the fold outs like on Yessongs.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I still have all my vinyl except for my friggin 1999 album. No idea where that went.

I still get CDs. It titrates my dosage. Don't buy them tho - it's all done in trade. Not only do I have a lot of old stuff to trade, I get a lot of readers books and review DVDs, enough to feed my habit. My daughter is amused that I don't have any music on my iPhone, especially now as I can synch with my CRV.

DM misses vinyl covers because they were great for de-seeding & rolling joints. Haven't had to de-seed in over a quarter century though, and now it's all about pre-roll cones.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I have to get a lot of things I want from ebay or half.com since the selection at the stores keeps getting smaller. Both Rasputin's and Streetlight have devoted more and more of the store to DVDs (something I never bought many of myself).
the hands that guide me are invisible