Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jac U @ BGC 4/13/16
Jac U is the collab of Skrillex & Diplo. Skrillex is my fav dub step DJ.  He did all the work last night.  Diplo just raised his arms up and yelled "San Francisco!" and such.  There was some opening act who's name was two words, first one starting with an 'A' I think - she was unremarkable.  Then in the intermission, they played Bob Marley's Legend for house music, and that was nice on the big fat sound system.  The Jac U stage was like an old Mac (get it?  Jac = Mac).  The graphics were old style Mac too.  That was a fun bit of retro, but I'm guessing most of the audience were too young to get it.  I mean, this was like a Mac from the 80s.  I think they were just called Apple back then, right?  It was all about Skrillex.  Nobody drops the bass like Skrillex.  

The audience is primarily Asian, which kind of freaks me out.  Next year will be my 30th year working for Rock Med and there are more Asians at any given SF EDM show than I've seen in my entire career in the music biz.  It's weird.  The other thing that is mind boggling at EDM is the fashion.  For guys, we dress like we always do - jeans, T-shirt, maybe a flannel - if we're really into it, maybe a beaded mask or bracelet, or a bandana.  For gals, it's skimpy bikini-ish sex kitten wear - lots of thongs, calf high boots, pasties - lots of Asian ass frankly.  How that sexual dimorphism came about in EDM is a mystery but it's very striking.

RM wasn't too busy.  Mostly pukers and passed out peeps.  The crowd was molly-ed up for sure.  It got super packed on the floor as this show, and the one previous, was sold out tight, and everyone goes into the floor crush leaving the balcony seats only half full.  Everyone on staff said that the crowd was full of angry assholes last night but this night was friendly and huggy, like what one might expect for molly.  

When the Warriors won, it was announced from stage and the crowd went wild.  As they exited, spontaneous Warriors chants broke out, and City Hall was lit up in Warriors Blue and Gold.  With the huge inflatable bunnies in Civic Center right now, and the post-show glow crowd clustered in molly-ed chatty groups with their light up toys, it made for a lovely SF night.  
BGC got a nice new carpet upstairs and repainted the elevators.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse