Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadpool
Dumb.

Superhero dumb.

Ryan didn't quite work as Deadpool for me, even though I was previously unaware of the character.

Morena was the only one who acted. Gina played the same role she did in Almost Human.

R-rated Marvel is like R-rated Disney or Star Wars. They just tossed in some boobs, f-bombs, decapitations, and dick jokes (too many falcon punches) but not enough to really mean it. 

Sword vs axe fight. Got a giggle out of me but that's it.

Seen in IMAX. So glad it was free. Wait to stream this one.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
But I had the excitement . . .

No matter what the trailer says, I guess, Ryan Reynolds is always Ryan Reynolds.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

You know I'll gladly jump on a cinematic grenade for ya. It's a DOOM thing.

It wasn't the fight that made me giggle. It was how Deadpool dotted an i.

Their was a green lantern joke, one of many that fell flat.
falcon punches? I thought they were donkey punches.

I was really excited to see this movie after watching the red band trailer numerous time. And my main take away from this movie is that it seems they just extended the trailer. Every bit or funny joke was in the trailer with just a few exceptions. I really liked the opening title sequence. I thought Morena Baccaro did an excellent job especially with her and Ryan Reynolds homage to my life is harder than yours Monty Python bit. And there were some nice bits in the bar.

After that, it was all in the trailers. My recommendation is to just watch the trailers.

But I did enjoy it. I did like playing spot the reference. I did like the post credit sequences which I think DM didn't get to see because they weren't added to the press screeners.

Also tQ and I decided to venture to our local discount theater to see this movie. I'd passed this place for years and always wondered what kind of screening you could get for $2? Well, I waited too long and now the price for the matinee is $7. But it reminded me strongly of the Oaks or early AMC theaters. The aisle was right down the center so you couldn't sit center screen. The floors were sticky as hell. And the whole place had this really odd funk to it.

And a note on parenting: Maybe this isn't the best movie to bring your 7 or 8 year old to see, like most of our fellow attendees did. Unless you want to spend a lot of time explaining to your child about anal and blow jobs and fisting etc. If you do, more power to you.

A lot of my fb 'friends' are raving about this. I guess they drank to marvel Kool-aid.

I liked the opening credits. By post credit scene, you mean when Deadpool comes out and tells everyone to go home? Animal did that better in one of the muppet movies...

Donkey punch is quite different than Falcon punch.
In an action film, Reynolds was at his best in Blade Trinity. But then, that's just an all-around awesome movie. I think he's a bit better at comedy.
the hands that guide me are invisible
It's on HBO now. I think the breaking the fourth wall worked surprisingly well in this movie. But the self-referential stuff felt gimmicky, like when Deadpool was commenting that Ryan Reynolds didn't get where he is on his acting chops, and that there were only a few X-men because the studio had a small budget. It also seemed like Deadpool was channeling Jim Carrey characters. I laughed at the IKEA jokes. 

The blind woman looked familiar, but I couldn't place her. It's "Kizzy" from Roots.

--tg
Okay. I keep catching this on TV. I keep failing to resist it. It's really growing on me

I watched it again last night. It made me laugh. I will watch it again.

Just admit it -- it was a totally fun film, and a nice change from the Marvel Standard.

Leslie Uggams .

"Blade: Trinity" was an all-around awesome film. Parker Posey was fantastic. Whomever thought that a villain should be able to actually *act* and not just chew scenery deserves an award. I'm only sorry that she has not been villainizing other franchises.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I'm totally on board with Dead Pool. My favorite part is the love scene montage with Wade and Vanessa. 'So, you have a house'

I had to watch the beginning again since I only caught the second half the night before. I can't wait for Deadpool 2. I'm very curious to see if it will keep to this level of quality.

I think it works because DP isn't out to save the world or press the button to stop the thing, he just wants to look respectable enough so as not to scare his girl. He's petty and vain and he isn't tortured about questions of right and wrong.

My only quibble is that DP's power is that he is indestructible. How does that let him jump and fly and move incredibly fast? But I let it go. No, I did.

I'm still not that big into Deadpool.  Maybe it's because the Morena sex scene was weak compared to Homeland.  Maybe because I'm just not that into comic-based movies.  Which isn't to say that I don't find them entertaining - it's just so much candy and I'm diabetic now.  In general, I tend to call comic-based films in the opposite direction of the popular opinion.  I know - splitter.  People's Front of Judea!

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut DP2 is directed by David Leitch, so I'm all in for that.
How do you differentiate Wuxia from Super Hero films?

中國

damn, i need 5 characters....
There was a free HBO weekend so I recorded this. I turned it off after about 5 minutes, before the first action sequence ended. The bullet hole in the arm framing the shot was the last straw. The whole thing seemed like everyone involved just wanted to show how clever they were (much like Tarantino). Slo-Mo, stop action and voice over, it was like they were all winking and nudging. But it wasn't that clever, particularly the dialogue.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Well, I didn't have quite that reaction, but KB does distill something that was bothering me about DP - that look how clever this is style. Nevertheless I did stick in through. Gina and Morena kept me committed. And they aren't redheads. Maybe I have another fetish for women whose names end in 'na'?

Na.

Big Grin