Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ireland 2016
I can loan you Finnegan's Wake, if you're interested.  It's a slender volume as opposed to Ulysses (which I also have, and read in college, but please don't test me).  [Regarding Ulysses, if I recall correctly, Joyce uses seven different languages on the first page alone.]

I haven't finished Finnegan's Wake, just to be fair.  In fact, I'm still struggling with the first sentence.
I'm nobody's pony.
Ulysses is a colossal wank. So deliberately impenetrable that it actually makes me angry.

Irish lit, now? How can you not read Roddy Doyle? A Star Called Henry or the Barrytown trilogy (all made into movies, the famous one was The Commitments). Roddy's got the craic.

Adrian McKinty's Sean Duffy trilogy. Any of his books, actually. Irish Noir. Doo eet!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I did point him towards A star called Henry in an email. So, that is two votes for that book.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Thanks guys. As I'm leaving Monday, I only have bandwidth for the Joyce & Yeats we already have. I'm not as voracious a recreational reader as youse as I have to read so much crap for work. The rest of the time is spent figuring out where we are going and what we are doing and how we will do it. Right now we're bouncing around a few hotels and airbnbs in Dublin then planning to make it for Galway to find a b&b.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Have a grand time and heave that Joyce out the window.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Try to see the Book of Kells if you can. It's the only manuscript in the world that has road signs directing you to it.
the hands that guide me are invisible
That's totally on the list although I'm told it's more like the page of Kells as it is only open to one page and it's not like they let you thumb through it.

At SFO now. Stacy had to drop me off early so I'm just waiting until aer lingus opens. Naughtiest name for an airline ever. Both my ladies are a little under the weather - we're hoping they heal before they come to join me.
Yes, you can only see one page from the book of Kells the day. But what did you expect? Go multiple days. Plus, there are exhibits and blow ups off the other pages. Or you could have stopped by my folks house and borrowed their reproduction. No. Wait. Don't do that. Never go to that house.

Have a great trip. Jealousy still on high.

I am sitting across from a Celtic ginger lass, all in black with a tattoo in her cleavage, a stout middle aged man with a green collared shirt and a woman that could pass for greg's mom if she were 40 years younger and much thinner. I can hardly wait to taste my first guinness in Ireland.
Don't forget to order potatoes with your potatoes.
Sadly I must cut back on my potatoes because of my diabetes. But I will order whisky with my Guinness. Which is where I'm headed now.

Icon_jook
Cut back on your potatoes? What is that?

Well shit. That was quick. I'm friggin pissed. Not pissed in that trump-is president way but in that glorious Guinness-soaked Irish way. Had a delightful pub experience with more pints than I can count and some charming locals who gave me tips on local spots and we all groused about brexit & trump. Emboldened by the Guinness its time to fynd t'ose local spots. Got some sleep on the plane but with Guinness in my veins, drunk monk is unstoppable.

Nice country so far, Greg. I see shadows of you everywhere. Must be like when you went to shaolin.

Just gotta keep it together for tomorrow's set visit...
Drunk writers are a local specialty -- go with it!
I had a good drunken rant before but the forum banned me (for roaming? Already got a roaming charge warning even though I've been using the ample free wifi here). Got back to the hotel and slept it off. It was something about wtf? Europe has all these great affordable eats while our president-elect eats Taco Bell to show his support of Mexicans. Anyway, trying to sleep now but my circadian rhthyms aren't compliant. Schedule fully booked tomorrow and committed to that NDA so you'll just have to read about each other's stones and such.