Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ireland 2016
My mom was a terrible cook too, and her corned beef was lousy. Christina's corned beef turned out well again this year. This one was from Trader Joe's, so not nearly as good as the ones we've gotten at Zanotto's, but quite a bit cheaper. Lots of leftovers, so my dinner again tonight. She though the potatoes were overcooked, but I enjoyed their pillowy softness.

She made soda bread, but not brown bread this time. I was only disappointed until I tried it, and then was very pleased. I had some again at breakfast.
the hands that guide me are invisible
(03-18-2021, 09:23 AM)Greg Wrote: And what's this Blarney cheese from Kerrygold? Blarney is in County Cork, not Kerry.

Heck if I know. It's Kerrygold's take on a gouda - very creamy and satisfying. I'm not going to quibble geographics when it comes to tasty nite cheese.

My mom made corned beef & cabbage in her crock pot when I was growing up. I always found it odd. Reflecting back, I was raised with a really odd selection of cuisine - Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese & American. That was the norm. And my mom was a dietitian.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Good short article on corned beef history
“Cows were sacred to the Irish”? I need verification from an Irish person on this. If only we had one on this forum...
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I was a little skeptical on that too, especially since the Celts didn't have writing. I'd be more inclined to believe that cattle were too valuable, as draft or dairy animals, to kill.
Irish dairy rocks. 

The only time I've had better dairy anywhere in the world was India. India dairy products are so next level. I had no idea dairy taste so rich.

And cows are sacred there.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
In all the reading I've done about Ireland, I've never come across anything that says cows were sacred. Cows were valuable. They were a symbol of wealth. The greatest historic poem in Irish History, The Taín, was about a cattle raid where Cuchulain went into Connacht and stole Maeve's prize bull.

As for the Irish not eating cows and instead pork, well that's bullshit, too. The main diet of the Irish was potatoes because that was all they could afford. I could go into all the depredations the Irish tenant farmers suffered under that English landlords but that is a book unto itself. But at the time of the failure of the potato crops in Ireland in the 1850s, there was plenty of food being grown in Ireland. The only problem was that it was all being shipped to England. And since the Irish subsisted on potatoes and not much else, they starved and died.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm