Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MVHS 40th Reunion
I was trying to make this as painless as possible but that's not going to work. There were three events for Monta Vista's High School reunion. There was a Monta Vista School tour. Then we would have a picnic at Blackberry farm. The day would finish with a cocktail party at the Blue Pheasant. All were supposed to happen on the same day, Saturday Sept 11. I was going to go to the first two and skip the third. Cocktail party small talk just isn't my thing. Then somebody realized nobody would be at the school on a Saturday so we wouldn't be able to get into any of the buildings. The tour was pushed back to Friday. To compound the problems, I also volunteered to help out Scapino and Greg Chow do the photography. Scapino was friended on FB and immediately got a request to do the photos. Scapino dragooned Greg Chow. Greg Chow contacted Scapino and I via FB to ask who the hell roped him into this damn situation. Scapino announced during the call he wasn't going to the reunion that weekend his wife is celebrating her 29th birthday. Now, I had never been contacted to be a photographer for the reunion despite the fact I had done all the photography for the 30th. Greg Chow didn't want to be the lone shooter so I said I would help him, although you didn't have to twist my arm too much. 

I was going to go down to Saratoga Saturday and come back on Sunday. I was going to stay in Saratoga at Lynch Manor with little if any interaction with my mother. That changes with the tour moved to Friday. I've decided I will attend the tour and rather than spending one day with my mother, I will now be spending two. It's going to hurt. I'm taking one for the team.

I've just pulled my yearbooks out of the garage. They were hidden in one of the boxes, so it took some digging. I also came across my Hoover Elementary school pennant. As noted before, i will be with my Elementary school chums on Sunday. The nostalgia will be thick this weekend.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I only went to my 10th HS reunion. It was weird. Teri Hatcher was there and looked gorgeous. But I never said one word to her in HS or at the reunion. 

There was a gathering this year of some of my classmates that I saw on fb. Some still stay connected. 

Our 40th is next year. Doubt I'll go. Definitely not as a photographer. 

Doesn't everyone just do selfies now? Aren't photographers obsolete at these things?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I had the same thoughts about the photographer. Doesn't everyone just break out their iPhone?

Except no one else will be bringing a drone to fly around the school. At least i don't think so.

There will probably be talk about the VTA Shooter. I believe he was in Mr. Chow's home room.

--tg
Forgot about him. Several people shared on FB they were good friends with him.

Oh man, that's heavy. So 2021.

I was presenting at our monthly YMAA Looking Back meeting about my hits in August and brought up the mediocre Olympic Karate results. I said Simone Biles stole all the Olympic spotlight for not competing - which was so 2021. Everyone nodded. 

One way or another, this darkness got to give...
I spent an hour, while eating at Jake's, talking to the current drummer for Y&T. He graduated in 1983 from MVHS. He brought his mom, too.

(09-13-2021, 03:31 PM)Greg Wrote: I spent an hour, while eating at Jake's, talking to the current drummer for Y&T. He graduated in 1983 from MVHS. He brought his mom, too.

FTW!
(09-13-2021, 03:38 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 03:31 PM)Greg Wrote: I spent an hour, while eating at Jake's, talking to the current drummer for Y&T. He graduated in 1983 from MVHS. He brought his mom, too.

FTW!

Interesting...I graduated then, so I went down that rabbit hole. I don't know him, but apparently he's been their drummer for some time:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/y-t-pa...placement/

--tg
He said he's been with the band for 15 years.

They are a local Bay Area band. 

I know I've seen them but I can't tell you when. I want to say it was some rock fest at the Shoreline maybe? Were they part of Monsters of Rock at the Stick?
Originally called “Yesterday & Today”, they’ve been a support act for major touring metal bands for eons. 

I thought they were a South Bay band, but Wikipedia says they were originally from Oakland. 

I couldn’t name a single song by them

—tg
They seemed to have the Greg Kihn level of fame without the big hit. I recognized the name. I didn't know their songs.