Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Denver Country Boy
Yep, the John Denver documentary. Nothing new here. You get to hear the songs. You get told the John Denver story. While watching the story, I realized I knew the John Denver story pretty well.

The only big song they didn't play was "Thank God, I'm a country boy" which at one point I knew all the lyrics to.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I worked with him at Shoreline many many years ago, early in my RM career. It was my first encounter with musician assholeness.

It was one of the most beautiful nights ever at SLA. There was a storm rolling in over San Jose that produced a dramatic sunset with lightning and thunder. Denver was pissed off at it because it was distracting the audience from his show. He played Me and My Uncle, a classic country standard often covered by the Dead, early in his set. The crowd loved it - dancing their hardest of the night. Then right after he said something to the effect that this song sucked, and now he would play a much better one, one of his. Then a Boy Scout troop wanted to present him with some sort of award but he wouldn't allow them on stage. Instead, he grabbed it from them behind Lucky's Place, which is the centerstage bar (behind it, there's a nasty alley that's a backstage access route.) I just happened to be passing by when that occurred. He didn't say 'thanks' or allow a photo. He literally popped out of the door (the kids had been waiting for over half an hour back there), snatched it, and ran back.

I used to watch his show when I was a kid and my image of him was crushed.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
See? That's the kind of stuff that should have been in the doc.

His assholery was only covered minutely when his brother said sometimes he could be a dick.
That was my only experience of Denver, so in my mind, he is forever a dick.
What about Shania Twain?!?
I think my final one was George Strait - when he played Oakland's football stadium. Late 90s, was it?
Sorry to hear that he was a dick, but so was Miles Davis, so was Van Gogh, so was Picasso, so was Pollock, so was and probably still is Don Henley. (Not comparing their importance or influence). Anyway those songs defined one aspect of the seventies, and I always sing along when I hear one, and he did have a great voice. That is a missed opportunity that they didn't get both sides, but in bios I read that seems to take about 50 years.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Wow. I love John Denver. The first record I ever bought was at the Wherehouse in Cupertino - John Denver's "Spirit".

Maybe he was having a bad day?
[Image: magpie13.gif]
(01-21-2016, 03:05 PM)El Dingo Wrote: Wow. I love John Denver. The first record I ever bought was at the Wherehouse in Cupertino - John Denver's "Spirit".

Maybe he was having a bad day?

This is so revealing about you.  Now your foray into baseball fanboy makes sense.

That being said, he was less of a dick than Bono.  

Big Grin