Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessica Jones
I usually don't like Kristen Ritter, but the way she acts suited this part quite well.

Basically, Jessica Jones is a fallen Super Hero who is trying to put her life back together through a prescription of meaningless sex and whiskey. It is part of origin story, part getting through a really tough time in her life.

It is well done. I think Marvel used some their Daredevil profits to go out and buy some lights, so you can actually see what is happening. It is the same seamy streets as Daredevil and their is one cameo from that series. They do shout outs to other Marvel Super Heroes, but none of them ever appear with exception of Luke Cage who plays a substantial role in the show.

The main bad guy is played by David Tennant as Kilgrave. He had Jessica Jones in his thrall and is trying to get her back. Carey Ann Moss of Matrix fame, plays just a disgusting lawyer who hires Jones for detective jobs.

Some of the episodes are better than others. But it really picks up steam towards the last of couple of episodes. The first few were slow for me because basically I was waiting for the bad guy to show up.

Lots of good twists and turns. A few dud characters that I could do without, but on the whole a nice 13 episodes. Looking forward to the Luke Cage series and the return of Daredevil.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Just finished this. It was quite good.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I'm devoting the next five days to watching Season 2 of Jessica Jones.

I saw her on Colbert and it was hard to reconcile the character and the actress. Because she came across as crazy on Colbert, light and fluffy and knitting and crazy. Yes, I said knitting. She brought her cover of Vogue Knitting. Yes, Vogue Knitting is a thing. Ritter also has her own line of knitting kits. Wow, this has gone off the rails. 

To recap. I'm diving into Jones this weekend.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Already 3 eps in. Like it.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Just remember, I come by my hatred honestly.

And we are done. 13 episodes. Woohoo. Or not so much.

So, yeah. I'm a little non-plussed at the end of this journey through the life of JJ. 

My biggest problem was there was not big villain for Jessica to compete against. And how do you measure a hero. You measure it against the villain or the challenge she is up against. And it just wasn't there, for me, in JJ.  

The one episode I really enjoyed did have a good challenge for JJ, but the episode seemed really out of step with the tone of the rest of the episodes. It's the answer to the question wouldn't it be fun if but it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the season, tone wise.

I also started to think about why is JJ the way she is. Is it all just trauma from the car crash and death of her family? Is that what makes her so depressed and angry all the time? Isn't that wearying? Isn't she wallowing just a little bit too much? And she sure drinks a lot. And yet, she never seems drunk. And she never suffers any consequence from all that drinking except she has a hard time starting in the morning.

Granted it was much better to watch JJ than it was to watch Iron Fist. There are stories but it's mostly navel gazing. 

As a sexist male, I wanted JJ to be tough and a smart mouth and I wanted her to be taking on big opponents and beating them. For this one, all her demons were internal and didn't move me too much.

Made it through. The acting was uniformly good, I thought, but I agree with G-Man that the lack of a villain pretty much made them eat themselves. The stage is set for Season III.
JJ season 3

3 episodes in. Same old same old. Still haven't talked about her challenge. Still grinding on about her problems, grinding exceedingly fine.