Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kill the Messenger
So many films in a row without people in capes. What is going on?

Gary Webb, who worked for the San Jose Mercury News (one of the reasons I rented this one) wrote a story linking the CIA and the rise of Crack cocaine in the inner cities. Rather than have the authorities look into his reporting, the authorities decided it was far easier to just attack Gary and his reporting.

Now, this was told from Gary's point of view, so everyone else looks bad. Although, Gary has plenty of foibles as well which are shown in the film. But his life is hammered pretty hard after the story comes out.

It's a pretty good depiction of the story. Jeremy Renner does a good job playing the part of Webb. And the rest of cast is pretty powerful as well. There is Oliver Platt as his boss. Ray Liotta plays a shadowy CIA pilot. Andy Garcia gets to play golf in prison as one of the drug lords. It is all really well done.

Again, it has a horror movie motif for me because I know bad things are coming for Gary and there is no way I can warn him from the comfort of my chair.

My only quibble is that film is supposed to take place in the Bay Area, particularly Cupertino, and around Sacramento. Since the film was made in Georgia because lucrative incentive packages for filmmakers, none of it looks like the Cupertino and Sacramento.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
You would look fabulous in a cape
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I know!
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit